Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Password - hyperlink or macro?

Password - hyperlink or macro?

If I have two cells on a sort of Homepage in Excel, how can I have a
User enter their name and a password, and get
Excel to validate it and take them to a new worksheet or workbook?

A B
1 USER: [ Enter your name] Password: [Enter your
password]

Jonah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Probably a better solution would be to use the Windows Login name. You can
get this using:

Environ("Username")

Check the value returned against a list and then redirect the user as is
apporpriate. This way you do not need to get the user to do anything other
than open the spreadsheet and you do not need to store passwords as the
security is integrated with the login name.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Jonah" wrote:

Password - hyperlink or macro?

If I have two cells on a sort of Homepage in Excel, how can I have a
User enter their name and a password, and get
Excel to validate it and take them to a new worksheet or workbook?

A B
1 USER: [ Enter your name] Password: [Enter your
password]

Jonah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excel is not really well designed for data sharing. You are going to run into
collisions with multiple users trying to access the same book at the same
time. But if all you are trying to do is to have multiple users share a file
then just password protect the file, put in a central location and let
everyone have at it... If not everyone is supposed to have access to all of
the sheets then use a validation routine with the username to hide the sheets
(xlVeryHidden) that are not supposed to be viewed and protect the book.
Assuming that none of your users are evil genius's with password cracking
code (easy to find on the net) then you will be good to go.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson