Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Can I have a text month and a "=today()" in same cell?

I have an existing spreadsheet that is just missing the year in each of the
12 cells that has a month of the year. To re-do the spreadsheet just to add
a cell for the "=today()" formatted for "yyyy" would be a horrendous amount
of work. If I could keep the text for each month but somehow add a
"today()" function, that would be great. Don't know how to do this, though.
Is it even possible?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"StargateFanFromWork" wrote in message
I have an existing spreadsheet that is just missing the year in each of

the
12 cells that has a month of the year. To re-do the spreadsheet just to

add
a cell for the "=today()" formatted for "yyyy" would be a horrendous

amount
of work. If I could keep the text for each month but somehow add a
"today()" function, that would be great. Don't know how to do this,

though.
Is it even possible?

Perhaps there is another way to add the year programmatically? I'd like to
have this spreadsheet printable at any given time of any year without having
to edit it at all. And if I had to break apart cells so that where the
current month is I'd have 2 cells, that's what I meant by a "horrendous
amount of work". There are so many individual cells underneath the months
at this time. It's not that I'm adverse to the work, per se, I don't have
time. As it stands now, no editing is needed for this spreadsheet
whatsoever. All affected dates show the current year at the time of
printout except where the months are as there are no years showing by each
date, which would be a bonus. Was hoping there was something that could be
done so that we have something like this:

"January" + =today()

where "January" means each month typed in and the "=today()" formula
represents the year? Whatever. I don't know. All of you here are the
experts, not me, so hoping there's a way. <g Every time I ask a question
here and go through all this headache, I make my group's life easier by a
lot, so it's worth it to me to make it as easy as possible for them. I'm
not the techie in the group and this is not my job, but I know what it is to
do more work than is needed when a simple system solution eradicates the
problem to begin with! <g This would do that. No one need ever edit
this, just edit the main data and the form prints out with all the current
dates! Awesome if we can do this.

Tx much! :oD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

From what it sounds like you want done I would probably write a one
time use macro to go through and replace the contents of the month only
cells with month+today. Let the macro do all the finding and replacing.
Or, you could possibly do a Find and Replace from the Edit menu and
restrict it to the row or column that has the cells you want to change.

For example:
Find January
Replace with ="January "&Year(TODAY()) (Note the space after January.)
Which will give you January 2005 for this year.

If your month cells are scattered thoughout the worksheet or if you
have cells that contain the month that you don't want changed that may
be a bit more difficult to accomplish but I think it could still be
done using the Options button.

Bill