Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Breaking a link.

Hi,

I copy a range of cells from one Wb to another.

The range copied from has some cells which are dependent on a variable
stored elsewhere.

e.g. the variable name "Year" is 2005, and one of the cells in the
copied range says =Year

I then paste the copied range into another workbook. At that stage the
second wb still has the =Year cell with presumably a link back to the
first Wb.

In the 2nd Wb I then Edit and Copy PasteSpecial the range of cells
containing the =Year. This correctly changes the formula to a value.

I had expected the PasteSpecial to break the link, but apparently not.
if I look in the Insert Names Define box in the second Wb, I still
find a reference to the =Year name, pointing back to the first Wb, and
of course when I close and open 2nd Wb I get the usual question about
links

Is this the way Excel is supposed to operate?

What's the best way of avoiding these links carrying across?
I suppose I could use some Workbook.BreakLinks code, but that seems a
bit heavy, and I'd have to code all the link names.

Any ideas??

TIA

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK

Breaking link within the worksheet Chuck[_3_] Excel Worksheet Functions 2 October 26th 07 09:43 AM
breaking a link juster21[_2_] Excel Programming 0 July 21st 05 01:29 PM
Problem breaking a link TJB Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 June 2nd 05 12:00 AM
Breaking the link T New Users to Excel 1 May 4th 05 10:37 PM
Breaking link to another sheet Ian Coates Excel Programming 1 September 6th 03 12:52 PM