Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Checking the status of a checkbox in a user form

Good afternoon!

I wonder could some clever person confirm that I'm using the correct syntax?

I have a user form called FolderForm - it contains a number of checkboxes,
one of which is named "DirectEnttyCheckBox".
When I show the form, I check the status of the box with
If DirectEntryCheckBox.Value = xlOn Then
MsgBox ("Direct Entry")
'other code...
End If

but when I display the form, check the box, and click the OK button (called
"OKButton", which runs a procedure containing the above code, plus validation
checking for other checkboxes too) the message "Direct Entry" isn't displayed.

While I'm on the subject, can anyone also suggest how I set the focus to
"OKButton"? I tried "OKButton.setfocus" but it didn't make any difference.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Regards & thanks in advance

Pete
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Doh!

I should have used "True/False" instead of "xlon/xloff"

Am I correct in thinking that the latter is used for checkboxes embedded in
a worksheet?

However, my second question from the previous post still applies. If I don't
set the "Daeault" property for the OKButton to "True", how can I subsequently
set the focus to this button?

Thanks again, and excuse my Homerability (with apologies to anyone called
Homer, other than Homer S!)

"Peter Rooney" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

xlOn is used for checkboxes from the forms toolbar. For your checkboxes,
use True and False.

The best way to control movement through a userform is using the tabindex
property.

If for some reason you want to violate that order, then setfocus would be
the principal command to use. If it isn't working, it could be possible
that other settings/code are interfering. (possibly you use setfocus in an
event before the normal tabbing has been applied).

Tom Ogilvy

"Peter Rooney" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Peter,

Looks like you missed spelt "Entry" (Entty) to me.

Problem 2 - .SetFocus is right, so are you referencing the right button? try
"Me.OKButton.SetFocus" if the code is in the form.

Best regards

John

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

John,

Thanks for pointing out the typo:-)
Still having trouble with the setfocus. I tried this, too

Sub ComplexBrowse() '[Control]+[Shift]+C
Load FolderForm
FolderForm.Show
FolderForm.CancelButton.Default = True
End Sub

and that doesn't work either (although it doewsn't throw up an error message)

Still stuck, I'm afraid - where precisely should Me.OKButton.SetFocus go?

"John" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

Perhaps I'm not asking for the right thing. When the userform is displayed,
I want to set the focus to the OK button without having to set its "Dafault"
property to TRUE. I know I COULD do it that way, but I wan't to know if it IS
possible to set the focus to other command buttons, should the need arise in
future. I don't have any other setfocus commands in my code.

Regards

Pete

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you want it to happend when the userform is opened, then set the tabindex
property of that button to zero.

Setting the default property to zero would have no effect on focus. It
executes the click event if you hit enter in the form.

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use the tabindex property. That is what it is there for.

In addition,
If your userform is modal, the
FolderForm.CancelButton.Default = True

hasn't even executed when the form is shown.

"John" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

Fair enough, I won't try to find a complex answer when there's a simple one
there.
In addition, I don't even KNOW what a modal userform is (LOL)
That's how much I know!

Cheers and thanks for your time.

Pete

"John" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Peter,

Peter Rooney wrote:
Fair enough, I won't try to find a complex answer when there's a
simple one there.
In addition, I don't even KNOW what a modal userform is (LOL)
That's how much I know!

Tom's right - if you want to always have initial focus on the button, then
set its TabIndex property to 0. If you only want to do it in certain
situations, you can do it with SetFocus.

Modal vs. Non-Modal is something you'll need to know about when using
UserForms. Modal means that you Show a UserForm from your code, and
execution will not continue in the calling code until the UserForm is hidden
or unloaded. Also, the UserForm will take focus, disallowing any
interaction with the workbook. Non-Modal means that the UserForm is
displayed "modelessly" - interaction with the workbook is allowed, and the
calling code continues to execute.

In your case, since you showed the UserForm modally (no arguments to the
Show method), code will not continue to execute until the UserForm is
dismissed or hidden. So the line of code setting the Default property to
True for the CancelButton button will not execute until the UserForm is
hidden, which defeats the purpose. You can place this type of code into the
Initialize event of the UserForm, which will execute when the UserForm is
first being initialized.

Jake Marx
www.longhead.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jake,

This made a lot of sense when I tried it out BUT...
HOW do I put my code in the initialize event of the userform AND
is the correct syntax "CancelButton.setfocus" or "CancelButton.default=true".

So near and yet so far!

Regards

Pete

"Jake Marx" wrote:

Hi Peter,

Peter Rooney wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jake,

I found it - sorry to be so dim.

Any chance you could refresh my memory as to how to make a userform
disappear when you press the "Escape" key - then I'll get back into my box
for the rest of the day.

Your explanation of MODAL was top notch, by the way. Thanks!

regards

Pete

"Jake Marx" wrote:

Hi Peter,

Peter Rooney wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Set the cancel property of the control that has code in the click event to
unload or hide the form to True.

Only one CommandButton on a form can be the Cancel button. Setting Cancel to
True for one command button automatically sets it to False for all other
objects on the form. When a CommandButton's Cancel property is set to True
and the form is the active form, the user can choose the command button by
clicking it, pressing ESC, or pressing ENTER when the button has the focus.

A typical use of Cancel is to give the user the option of canceling
uncommitted changes and returning the form to its previous state.

You should consider making the Cancel button the default button for forms
that support operations that can't be undone (such as delete). To do this,
set both Cancel and the Default property to True.

Tom Ogilvy

"Peter Rooney" wrote in message
Jake,

I found it - sorry to be so dim.

Any chance you could refresh my memory as to how to make a userform
disappear when you press the "Escape" key - then I'll get back into my box
for the rest of the day.

Your explanation of MODAL was top notch, by the way. Thanks!

regards

Pete

"Jake Marx" wrote:

Hi Peter,

Peter Rooney wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Peter,

Peter Rooney wrote:
I found it - sorry to be so dim.

Any chance you could refresh my memory as to how to make a userform
disappear when you press the "Escape" key - then I'll get back into
my box for the rest of the day.

The easiest way is to drop a "Cancel" CommandButton on the UserForm. Just
set its Cancel property to True, and it will respond to the ESC key.

Your explanation of MODAL was top notch, by the way. Thanks!

No problem - glad it helped!

Jake Marx
www.longhead.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jake,

This worked a treat.

Thanks very much!

Pete

"Jake Marx" wrote:

Hi Peter,

Peter Rooney wrote:
I found it - sorry to be so dim.

Any chance you could refresh my memory as to how to make a userform
disappear when you press the "Escape" key - then I'll get back into
my box for the rest of the day.

The easiest way is to drop a "Cancel" CommandButton on the UserForm. Just
set its Cancel property to True, and it will respond to the ESC key.

Your explanation of MODAL was top notch, by the way. Thanks!

No problem - glad it helped!

Jake Marx
www.longhead.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

Thanks very much for this useful background information (particularly the
bit about the cancel property of all other buttons being set to False when
the cancel property of a button is set to true.

My little app is now working exactly how I want it to,

Thanks for your help

Pete

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

[...]

"Jake Marx" wrote: