Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Status Message User Form in Excel '97

Hi all,

I've created a workbook in Excel 2000 that runs a
series of functions (e.g. imports a file, manipulates the
data, outputs a report, etc.). I wanted to present a
custom status message to the end user to let her know what
step is being processed. So, I put together the following
code:

Sub Update_StatRem(StatRem, ScreenUpdate)
UserForm2.lblStatRem.Caption = StatRem
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
UserForm2.Show (vbModeless)
UserForm2.Repaint
Application.ScreenUpdating = ScreenUpdate
End Sub

In this case, StatRem is a line of text, like "Importing
the file..." that I pass from the calling macro to this
macro. Each time a new step is started in the series of
macros, I pass a new value to StatRem, call this code, and
the userform is updated with a new message. The problem
is some end users are using Office '97 and Office '97
can't run a userform as modeless. Is there a way to make
this work in both Office '97 and Office 2000? If not, is
there a way to accomplish my goal in just Office '97?
Thanks in advance for the help.

-Brad
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Brad,

You could try Stephen Bullen's 'FloatWind' demo he
http://www.bmsltd.co.uk/Excel/Default.htm

...or set the Application.StatusBar property?

Cheers,
Dave.
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave,

Thanks for the information. I opted to use the
statusbar property. The message is not as noticable for
the user, but simpler and faster for a hack like me.