Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Best way to handle this problem

Hello -

I have the following scenario:
(Sub = Subject, Cat = Category)

Title1 Title2 Title3 Title4
Title5
Subject1 Sub1Cat1 Sub1Cat1Item1 Sub1Cat1Item1
to to
. Sub1Cat1Item4
. .
. .
. .
SubCat8 Sub1Cat8Item1
Sub1.Cat1Item8
Subject2 Sub2Cat1
Sub2Cat14
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sandy,

See Debra Dalgleish's page on dependent lists at:

See also xlDynamic's page on dependent dropdowns at:

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Dropdowns.html

---
Regards,
Norman

"Sandy" wrote in message
Hello -

I have the following scenario:
(Sub = Subject, Cat = Category)

Title1 Title2 Title3 Title4
Title5
Subject1 Sub1Cat1 Sub1Cat1Item1 Sub1Cat1Item1
to to
. Sub1Cat1Item4
. .
. .
. .
SubCat8 Sub1Cat8Item1
Sub1.Cat1Item8
Subject2 Sub2Cat1
Sub2Cat14
.
.
.
Subject6

It's essentially a hierarchy of text cells in an Excel spreadsheet. I
would
like to do some kind of a drop down list that includes, for example,
Subject1
to Subject 6 for Title1 where you could select from a list and have it
insert
into ColumnA and additionally, a drop down list that handles all of the
subcategories across the page.

I am drawing a complete blank as to how to go about this. Can anyone
point
me in the right direction? Does anyone know of a better way to handle
this?
The object is to not have to retype some of these paragraph blurbs. I
might
add, not all the blurbs are always needed,therefore, it can't be something
as
simple as a protected template.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
--
Sandy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sandy,

Re-reading your question, I may well have insufficently grasped your intent
and, to the extent that I have, it seems possible that Excel is not
necessarily the ideal tool.

Perhaps an overview of what you are endeavouring to achieve might encourage
more pertinent responses.

---
Regards,
Norman

"Sandy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Sandy,

What was the question? You didn't complete your post.

Sincerely,
Leith Ross

--
Leith Ross
Leith Ross's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18465

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Norman,

I don't know what makes you doubt your original reading. I have just read it
and I come to the same conclusion that you originally came to. The only
difference that I can see from the OP's requirement to the solutions that
you suggest is the plane in which they are expressed.

--

HTH

RP

"Sandy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your response, Norman.

I realize my explanation is unclear, but I don't know how to explain it
short of cutting and pasting the whole spreadsheet which, of course, would
look horrible and not make any sense either.

You may be quite right that Excel is not the best program to be using for
this. Essentially what it consists of is a hierarchy in which each column
from left to right has a one to many relationship with the cells on the same
line and also those beneath it creating something that looks like

xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

Any suggestions on what other apps I might try?

--
Sandy

"Sandy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sandy,

Did you follow the suggested links to Debra's and Bob's sites?

How did thses not meet with your requirements?

I am still somewhat perplexed: not by the structure but rather the ultimate
purpose.

---
Regards,
Norman