Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Any idea?

I'm not really sure how to explain this but I’m creating something fo
work that will help us keep a record of computers that need to b
worked on. I already have the calculations for the number of days it'
been in the store. However, I want to now how to set it up so it wil
auto fill a lot of columns to make it easier for me. I want to be abl
to insert the clients name and then it will automatically insert th
date I checked it in, and keep it there so i can do calculations late
for the numbers of days we have had it in

--
nemp
nempo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2840

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It sounds like you want to timestamp the entry of the Clients name. See
the following link on the subject:

Hope this helps
Rowan

nempo wrote:
I'm not really sure how to explain this but I’m creating something for
work that will help us keep a record of computers that need to be
worked on. I already have the calculations for the number of days it's
been in the store. However, I want to now how to set it up so it will
auto fill a lot of columns to make it easier for me. I want to be able
to insert the clients name and then it will automatically insert the
date I checked it in, and keep it there so i can do calculations later
for the numbers of days we have had it in.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I can't seem to get it to work. I went to that site and i insert th
code

=IF(A1="","",IF(B1="",NOW(),B1))

I inserted it into C1, but when I have "cat" in B1 it won't displa
anything until I put something into A1. Then it will paste whatever i
in B1 to C1. I want it to look at A1 and if something is inserted int
it B1 will output the m/d/year and keep that date there. I know th
site you gave me is probably correct, but I can't get it to work
Please help thank

--
nemp
nempo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2840
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47998

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It is actually a circular reference so you need to place the formula in
B1. First set iteration ToolsOptionsCalculation check the iteration box.
Then insert the formula in B1. Also if you just want the date and not
the time then I would change the formula slightly to:
=IF(A1="","",IF(B1="",TODAY(),B1))

Hope this helps
Rowan

nempo wrote:
I can't seem to get it to work. I went to that site and i insert the
code

=IF(A1="","",IF(B1="",NOW(),B1))

I inserted it into C1, but when I have "cat" in B1 it won't display
anything until I put something into A1. Then it will paste whatever is
in B1 to C1. I want it to look at A1 and if something is inserted into
it B1 will output the m/d/year and keep that date there. I know the
site you gave me is probably correct, but I can't get it to work.
Please help thanks