Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Open file behavior with add-in

I have written an add-in that when it is loaded, Excel will
not load a file that has been double clicked unless Excel is
open already. If Excel is not open the file will not load
although Excel does not load a default blank spreadsheet as it
does if I load Excel directly. (This is not the well known
uncheck the ignore other application box problem.) If the
add-in is not loaded everything works fine. I have other
add-ins loaded that do not affect the behavior so I am
reasonably sure that it is something in my add-in that
causes the problem.

Most of the code is a module (over 5000 lines). A little
is in this workbook module and a little is in forms
modules. Since there is a lot of code it is difficult to
know where to start looking for the problem. Can anyone
suggest where I might look or even better if you suspect
you know where the problem is can you tell me. Thank you.

Pieter Vandenberg
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It might not be the addin's fault...

Sometimes one of these works:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave:

Thank you for your response. I had already double checked to make sure "Ignore other etc
was unchecked. Also I had tried the excel /unregserver etc also. And to be sure I just
did it again. It does not change the behavior. The only thing that seems to cure
the problem that I have found is to unload the add-in.

Pieter Vandenberg

Dave Peterson wrote:
: It might not be the addin's fault...

: Sometimes one of these works:

: Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

: --- or ---

: Close Excel and
: Windows Start Button|Run
: excel /unregserver
: then
: Windows Start Button|Run
: excel /regserver

: The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's
: factory defaults.

: vandenberg p wrote:
:
[...]

: --

: Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I guess that just leaves a "good luck" in your search.

Maybe you can just comment out subroutine by subroutine and see what breaks the
setting.

(I don't have a better guess.)

Good luck <vbg.

: vandenberg p wrote:
:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave:

Again thanks, I was hoping to avoid that but sometimes you can't.

Pieter

Dave Peterson wrote:
: I guess that just leaves a "good luck" in your search.

: Maybe you can just comment out subroutine by subroutine and see what breaks the
: setting.

: (I don't have a better guess.)

: Good luck <vbg.

: vandenberg p wrote:
:
: Dave:
:
: Dave Peterson wrote:
: : It might not be the addin's fault...
:
: : Sometimes one of these works:
:
: : Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)
:
: : --- or ---
:
: : Close Excel and
: : Windows Start Button|Run
: : excel /unregserver
: : then
: : Windows Start Button|Run
: : excel /regserver
:
: : The /unregserver & /regserver stuff resets the windows registry to excel's
: : factory defaults.
:
: : vandenberg p wrote:
: :
[...]