Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Edit--Find special characters

With Excel 2000's Find function, I thought you could use a ^ symbol to find
special characters using ANSI codes, but when I enter ^84 or ^084 (the ANSI
code for capital T), it does not find any matches, even though there are
many T's in the worksheet. I'm searching "By Rows" and looking in
"Formulas", A1 is the only active cell. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

(P.S. I'm looking for other characters that are not on the keyboard like "T"
is, too.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Couldn't you just do Edit|Find, type in T and make sure "match case" is checked
(under the Options button if you don't see it).

Maybe you had "match entire cell contents" checked that caused the trouble.

Or maybe something wrong in the LookIn box (or within box).

===
There are some characters that can't be used in that dialog. Carriage return
(x013) has never worked for me.

Dave B wrote:

With Excel 2000's Find function, I thought you could use a ^ symbol to find
special characters using ANSI codes, but when I enter ^84 or ^084 (the ANSI
code for capital T), it does not find any matches, even though there are
many T's in the worksheet. I'm searching "By Rows" and looking in
"Formulas", A1 is the only active cell. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

(P.S. I'm looking for other characters that are not on the keyboard like "T"
is, too.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In the end I want to do the find with VBA code. Sorry I forgot to mention
that. Any suggestions on how to search for ANSI or ASCII using VBA's
Selection.Find(...)?

"Dave B" wrote in message
With Excel 2000's Find function, I thought you could use a ^ symbol to
find
special characters using ANSI codes, but when I enter ^84 or ^084 (the
ANSI
code for capital T), it does not find any matches, even though there are
many T's in the worksheet. I'm searching "By Rows" and looking in
"Formulas", A1 is the only active cell. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

(P.S. I'm looking for other characters that are not on the keyboard like
"T"
is, too.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

With Columns(2)

Set fndRange = .Find(what:=Chr(84), LookIn:=xlValues)
End With
If fndRange Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "Not found"
Else
fndRange.Interior.ColorIndex = 37

Gary

"Dave B" wrote in message
With Excel 2000's Find function, I thought you could use a ^ symbol to
find
special characters using ANSI codes, but when I enter ^84 or ^084 (the
ANSI
code for capital T), it does not find any matches, even though there
are
many T's in the worksheet. I'm searching "By Rows" and looking in
"Formulas", A1 is the only active cell. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.

(P.S. I'm looking for other characters that are not on the keyboard
like
"T"
is, too.)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Something like:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
Dim FoundCell As Range

Set FoundCell = ActiveSheet.Cells.Find(What:=Chr(84), _
LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
MatchCase:=True)

If FoundCell Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "Not found"
Else