Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Data Validation with additional input

Is it possible to have a single cell referenced to a separte cell that
contains additional data/information? I am trying to create an expense
report. I would like to have expense amounts entered into the
appropriate cells then when any cell is active, have a dedicated cell
which will collect additional data (ie. how it was paid, explanation,
city, etc.). Basically, when you click on any cell, there will be
another cell with all the additional information to view.

Ultimately, I would like to have an employee enter in a value, have a
drop down list to enter whether it was company paid or personally paid,
and then change the color of the value depending on the response. Then
be able to separate all the data between company and personal.

Can anyone inform me of the programming necessary to do this? Or if it
is even possible to do in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Shane73 --

I think you are trying to do two things, neither of which requires VBA
programming. If I were trying to do this, I'd use two Excel tools:

1) You can establish a list of acceptable entries by using the
DataValidation option. Set up a set of cells with the acceptable values

for each entry cell (such as "employee paid", "company paid", etc.). Then go
to DataValidation and select the 'list' option. Select the range of cells
containing the acceptable entries you're good to go.

2) You can use the FormatConditional Formatting option to set the color
of text and background for a cell based on the value.

"Shane73" wrote:

Is it possible to have a single cell referenced to a separte cell that
contains additional data/information? I am trying to create an expense
report. I would like to have expense amounts entered into the
appropriate cells then when any cell is active, have a dedicated cell
which will collect additional data (ie. how it was paid, explanation,
city, etc.). Basically, when you click on any cell, there will be
another cell with all the additional information to view.

Ultimately, I would like to have an employee enter in a value, have a
drop down list to enter whether it was company paid or personally paid,
and then change the color of the value depending on the response. Then
be able to separate all the data between company and personal.

Can anyone inform me of the programming necessary to do this? Or if it
is even possible to do in Excel?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

finally to "separate al the data between company and personal"
you can use datasort on the "Paid By" column
or dataautofilter to hide rows with one or the other.