Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Preventing automatic upgrade of references to ADO

The base standard for ADO on a Windows 2000 PC is ADO v2.5. Therefore, we
develop our Excel based application referencing this version. However, Excel
has a very annoying habit of automatically upgrading references to ADO in
the following situation:

o Developer saves with reference to v2.5
o User A with ADO v2.7 opens the workbook
o Excel upgrades the ADO reference to v2.7 (even though v2.5 is also on
there)
o User A saves the workbook
o User B with basic Windows 2000 PC (thus v2.5) tries to open workbook but
can't as it references a library they don't have

I realise we could use late binding but that really slows down development
as intellisense doesn't work and therefore typos occur.

So...

a) is it possible to disable this automatic upgrading (I suspect not)?
b) is it possible to access the referencing mechanism during start-up to
force binding back to v2.5?

Thanks, Rob.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

1. Based on my knowledge, there is no such an option. But based on my test,
the reference to ADO 2.5 workbook will not upgrate to ado2.7 automatically
even if that machine installed ado2.7.

2. We can use VBE object modal to add/delete reference.
Programming the Microsoft Office Visual Basic Editor
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/dnofftalk/h
tml/office07042002.asp

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

1. Based on my knowledge, there is no such an option. But based on my
test,
the reference to ADO 2.5 workbook will not upgrate to ado2.7 automatically
even if that machine installed ado2.7.

Well it certainly happens here :-)

2. We can use VBE object modal to add/delete reference.
Programming the Microsoft Office Visual Basic Editor

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ce07042002.asp

Thanks - that looks like it should do the trick.

Thanks, Rob.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Thanks for your quickly reply!
Anyway if you still have any concern, please feel free to post here and we
will follow up you.