Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro help please

Hi,
I have the following code (donated) which will take a number input by the
user and then seach a whole column for that corresponding number. Once found
it will then copy/paste the whole of that rows data onto another worksheet.
This works fine as there is never the same number in the column twice, what
I now need is for the column to be searched and then each time the same
number is found to copy each rows data onto a seperate sheet until all the
'input number' corresponding rows data has been pasted onto seperate rows in
a new worksheet.

For example, if the number input by the user is 12345 . The seach is made
and its found that this number is shown in cells A3, A7, A10 I want all the
data in cells A3:G3, A7:G7, and A10:G10 to be pasted into seperate rows in
another worksheet.
hope that makes sense, and here is the code I have....

Sub print_mon_jobcard()
Dim i As Integer
Dim iRow As Integer
Dim Cel As Range
Dim wks1 As Worksheet, wks2 As Worksheet, wks3 As Worksheet
Dim lLastRow As Long
'On Error GoTo err_handler
Set wks1 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("monday's log")
Set wks2 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("formula")
Set wks3 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("jobcard")
i = InputBox("Please enter the job number you wish to print a job card for")

On Error Resume Next
Set Cel = wks1.Columns("B:B").Find _
(What:=i, _
LookIn:=xlValues, _
LookAt:=xlWhole)
If Cel Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "No job with the number " & i & _
" has been found, please try again! "
Exit Sub
End If
On Error GoTo err_handler
iRow = Cel.Row
wks1.Cells(iRow, 1).EntireRow.Copy Destination _
:=wks2.Cells(2, 1)

wks3.PrintOut
Exit Sub

err_handler:
MsgBox Error, , "Err " & Err.Number

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This should be close...

Sub print_mon_jobcard()
Dim i As Integer
Dim rngToSearch As Range
Dim rngFound As Range
Dim rngFirst As Range
Dim rngDestination As Range
Dim rngAllRecords As Range
Dim wks1 As Worksheet, wks2 As Worksheet, wks3 As Worksheet

'On Error GoTo err_handler
Set wks1 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("monday's log")
Set wks2 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("formula")
Set wks3 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("jobcard")
i = InputBox("Please enter the job number you wish to print a job card for")

On Error Resume Next
Set rngToSearch = wks1.Columns("B")
Set rngDestination = wks2.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)

Set rngFound = rngToSearch.Find _
(What:=i, _
LookIn:=xlValues, _
LookAt:=xlWhole)
If rngFound Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "No job with the number " & i & _
" has been found, please try again! "
Else
On Error GoTo err_handler
Set rngFirst = rngFound
Set rngAllRecords = rngFound
Do
Set rngAllRecords = Union(rngAllRecords, rngFound)
Set rngFound = rngToSearch.FindNext(rngFound)
Loop Until rngFound.Address = rngFirst.Address
rngAllRecords.Entirerow.Copy rngDestination
wks3.PrintOut
End If
Exit Sub

err_handler:
MsgBox Error, , "Err " & Err.Number
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Anthony" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GB GB is offline

I have always felt, best to teach how to fish, rather than give a fish. What
it sounds like you want to do is take data from sheet1 and place it on
sheet2. For every occurrence of the search data in sheet1, add it to the
list of items on sheet2. (Not replace the data on sheet2.) Because the
location to store the data on sheet2 will change, you need to keep track of
it somehow. (Variable, like 'long DestRowNum') Everytime you make a match,
copy the data and increase DestRowNum by one. As for the search, there is an
Excel VBA example. The example stores the row of the first search response,
then repeats the search until the row returned equals the first response.

Course, sometimes it's easier to just to lead a horse near the water. :)

"Anthony" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GB,
thanks for your 'wise' words, and yes that is exactly what I want.
The reason I posted here is becasue I am a novice at VB code, and to write
something to do as I requested would take me a lifetime.
any donations, therefore wud be very much apreciated!
rgds

"Anthony" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
yes it kinda works, however I get this error when I run the macro

err 1004

The information cannot be pasted because the copy and the paste are are not
the same size & shape. Try one of the following

*Click a single cell, then paste
*Select a rectangle thats the same size and shape then paste.

I have made an exact copy of the worksheet where the data is collected from
to paste it into but still get this error.

Any help........??
many thanks

"Anthony" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GB GB is offline

Could if I knew your copy and paste ranges.

This is a similar thing as if you highlighted say a range of five cells wide
and one deep, said copy, then went to somewhere else, highlighed only three
cells wide and one deep. Excel would tell you that the ranges were not the
same size. Something about your selection for paste is a different
size/method than your copy.

"Anthony" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GB GB is offline

Ohh and no problem. I think this area is great for novices and experts
alike. It's amazing the kind of help that can be found and even the kind of
errors that can be pointed out by almost anyone, from a misplaced colon to an
extra parantheses. At any rate, I often see people go for the code, and like
to back it up with some understanding, or vice versa. Sometimes people
really know the code but don't understand what they need to do to get where
they want. *shrug*

There are some very helpful people on here. I sometimes wonder what they do
for their day job, that they can be here providing such great help so often.
But then again, look at me. :)

"Anthony" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry, as I said, bit of a novice, so column "A" is searched for a 'date' and
once found cells A5:E5 are copied each time the same 'date' has been found.

All this information is then pasted (or shud I say, I want it pased on the
same worksheet but from cells G3:K3

can't remember if you have my code , but here it is this far.....

Sub print_mon_jobcard()
Dim i As String
Dim rngToSearch As Range
Dim rngFound As Range
Dim rngFirst As Range
Dim rngDestination As Range
Dim rngAllRecords As Range
Dim wks1 As Worksheet, wks2 As Worksheet

Set wks1 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("adhoc database")
Set wks2 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("adhoc database")
i = InputBox("Please enter the date you are looking for")

On Error Resume Next
Set rngToSearch = wks1.Columns("A")
[...]

End Sub

oh and one other thing, when I run this code and its finished, an error
stating

" err 424
object required"

what all that about ??

thanks again for helping, without people like you, I would have to murder
the fish !!!!

"Anthony" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GB GB is offline

One programming tip that I recommend.

The very first line of any module or code for a Form, or anywhere that you
are going to write VBA code:

Option Explicit

This particular command, will force you to declare each and every variable
that you want to use. Now while that may sound like a pain? Think about the
example you just copied for me. In your If rngFound/End If section, you call
wks3.PrintOut. As far as I can tell from the snippet of code? There is no
wks3 variable. If you do call it out somewhere else, then I'll continue
looking, but that seems to be the first problem. You are referring to a
variable that does not exist, or at least that you haven't assigned any
meaningful data to.

GB

"Anthony" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GB GB is offline

So you want:

If the data found in row 5 equals the data searched then
copy A5:E5 to G3:K3
else
tell the user that it is not found.
end if

Such that, for every piece of matching data found, the small range is copied
two rows up and starting enough to the right to have one "blank" row?
Therefore if a match is found at say row 6 then paste to row 4. But
following this sequence, if a match is found now in row 25 then paste in row
5.

Correct?
Because basically this thing is working, except that entire rows are being
copied, rather than just ranges. May need to do a for each c in
rngAllRecords kind of thing so that you can pull the row and column
combination. Let me know if at least what I'm talking about is correct, then
I can help you hone the code.

"Anthony" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
yep sorry I ment to take out the wks3.PrintOut bit as this wasn't required.

your synopsis (spelling?) of my requirements are almost correct, I'll try
and explain.

The user inputs a date ie 8 October 2005 into the msg box
this 'date' is then searched for in the 'adhoc database' worksheet through
column A
each time this same date is found I want cells A:G copied from the row and
pasted into cells J18:M18 of 'Adhoc' worksheet.
if the date is found again, copy the cells A:G and paste into cells J19:M19
of the 'Adhoc' worksheet, if the date is found again paste the data in cells
A:G into cells J20:M20, and so on........

However if the input date is not found in the column search a simple message
stating so to be shown.
Also if at all possible, can this code also be adapted to automaticaly seach
for a date that would equal 'TODAY' ?????

In theror what I want seems quite simple enough but frustrating to master !!
again...appreciate your help with this
regards

"Anthony" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GB GB is offline

I have included below what I did with your code. The line is a little long,
it works, and perhaps there is something a little less "codey" but it is a
programming technique that I have adapted to make control easier.

Basically look at the stuff I added in just below your original copy command
and just above your wks3.printout line (which is commented out at the moment,
so that I wouldn't get prompted to print anything. :) )
Sorry it took me a little bit, I was trying to look for a new cordless
phone, and get some paperwork in order to move.

Option Explicit

Sub print_mon_jobcard()

Dim i As String
Dim rngToSearch As Range
Dim rngFound As Range
Dim rngFirst As Range
Dim rngDestination As Range
Dim lngNextRow As Long
Dim rngAllRecords As Range
Dim wks1 As Worksheet, wks2 As Worksheet

Set wks1 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("adhoc database")
Set wks2 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("adhoc database")
i = InputBox("Please enter the date you are looking for")

On Error Resume Next
Set rngToSearch = wks1.Columns("A")
Set rngDestination = wks2.Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0)

Set rngFound = rngToSearch.Find _
(What:=i, _
LookIn:=xlValues, _
LookAt:=xlWhole)
If rngFound Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "No job with the number " & i & _
" has been found, please try again! "
Else
On Error GoTo err_handler
lngNextRow = 18
Set rngFirst = rngFound
Set rngAllRecords = rngFound
Do
Set rngAllRecords = Union(rngAllRecords, rngFound)
Set rngFound = rngToSearch.FindNext(rngFound)
Loop Until rngFound.Address = rngFirst.Address
'rngAllRecords.EntireRow.Copy rngDestination.EntireRow
For Each c In rngAllRecords
wks1.Range(wks1.Cells(c.Row, "a"), wks1.Cells(c.Row, "g")).Copy
wks1.Range(wks1.Cells(lngNextRow, "J"), wks1.Cells(lngNextRow, "M"))
lngNextRow = lngNextRow + 1
Next
'wks3.PrintOut
End If
Exit Sub

err_handler:
MsgBox Error, , "Err " & Err.Number
End Sub

"Anthony" wrote:

Hi,
yep sorry I ment to take out the wks3.PrintOut bit as this wasn't required.

your synopsis (spelling?) of my requirements are almost correct, I'll try
and explain.

The user inputs a date ie 8 October 2005 into the msg box
this 'date' is then searched for in the 'adhoc database' worksheet through
column A
each time this same date is found I want cells A:G copied from the row and
pasted into cells J18:M18 of 'Adhoc' worksheet.
if the date is found again, copy the cells A:G and paste into cells J19:M19
of the 'Adhoc' worksheet, if the date is found again paste the data in cells
A:G into cells J20:M20, and so on........

"Anthony" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
Thanks for ur efforts, however the code doesn't run, there seems to a
problem with this bit:-

wks1.Range(wks1.Cells(lngNextRow, "J"), wks1.Cells(lngNextRow, "M"))

as the entire row is in red which I think its saying there is something
missing??

sorry to be a pain, but any ideas?
many thanks

"Anthony" wrote:

Hi,
yep sorry I ment to take out the wks3.PrintOut bit as this wasn't required.

your synopsis (spelling?) of my requirements are almost correct, I'll try
and explain.

The user inputs a date ie 8 October 2005 into the msg box
this 'date' is then searched for in the 'adhoc database' worksheet through
column A
each time this same date is found I want cells A:G copied from the row and
pasted into cells J18:M18 of 'Adhoc' worksheet.
if the date is found again, copy the cells A:G and paste into cells J19:M19
of the 'Adhoc' worksheet, if the date is found again paste the data in cells
A:G into cells J20:M20, and so on........

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
GB GB is offline

Apparently I did not explain that that line (the copy line portion plus the
code you just highlighed.) must either all be on the same line, or an
underscore (with a space before it) has to be at the end of the line that
ends with .copy. Those two lines of code are written such that, it is to
copy from one location (A:G) and paste to the J:M range. To do that the code
must be on one continuous line, basically.

GB

"Anthony" wrote:

Hi,
yep sorry I ment to take out the wks3.PrintOut bit as this wasn't required.

your synopsis (spelling?) of my requirements are almost correct, I'll try
and explain.

The user inputs a date ie 8 October 2005 into the msg box
this 'date' is then searched for in the 'adhoc database' worksheet through
column A
each time this same date is found I want cells A:G copied from the row and
pasted into cells J18:M18 of 'Adhoc' worksheet.
if the date is found again, copy the cells A:G and paste into cells J19:M19
of the 'Adhoc' worksheet, if the date is found again paste the data in cells
A:G into cells J20:M20, and so on........

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

well what can I say, FANTASTIC !!!
after a few minor changes, it is just working perfectly!
Thank you so much for all your time and effort
thanks x10000
Anthony

"Anthony" wrote:

Hi,
yep sorry I ment to take out the wks3.PrintOut bit as this wasn't required.

your synopsis (spelling?) of my requirements are almost correct, I'll try
and explain.

The user inputs a date ie 8 October 2005 into the msg box
this 'date' is then searched for in the 'adhoc database' worksheet through
column A
each time this same date is found I want cells A:G copied from the row and
pasted into cells J18:M18 of 'Adhoc' worksheet.
if the date is found again, copy the cells A:G and paste into cells J19:M19
of the 'Adhoc' worksheet, if the date is found again paste the data in cells
A:G into cells J20:M20, and so on........