Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default DDE Data Streaming Macro

' Hello,
'I am having problems that I hope you all can give some advice on
'I am trying to set this up so it can easily be positioned in any
column by changing initialOffset.

'The first problem I am having is that when I do that regardless of
where I set the
' initial offset it only works in col A<nn and B<n with initialOffset
set to 0

'With initialOffset set to 1, entering data into b1 and c1 and it is
not reliable and somtimes will acknowledge the data in b1 but does not
see the data in c1 and I get the itype not found error it wil find the
text entered Col B1 but not the type in Col C1.

'and what really gets me is that I can use any number for the write to
spreadsheet
'and it offsets perfectly
'I cannot find what is different except one is a write and the other an
entry.
'
'
'Another problem is that I want this streaming data to also fill on
another sheet
'I have tried a few things but did not have much luck and my methods
gave
'unreliable results

Sub requestData()

' description vars
Dim name As String
Dim iType As String

' get description
Const initialOffset = 0
name = UCase(ActiveCell.offset(0, initialOffset + 0).Value)
iType = UCase(ActiveCell.offset(0, initialOffset + 1).Value)

' must have symbol, secType
If name = "" Then
Beep
MsgBox ("enter name")
Exit Sub
End If
If iType = "" Then
Beep
MsgBox ("enter iTYPE.")
Exit Sub
End If

' Place in spreadsheet
Const reqOffset = 10 + initialOffset
ActiveCell.offset(0, reqOffset + 1).Value = name
ActiveCell.offset(0, reqOffset + 2).Value = iType

ActiveCell.offset(1, 0).Activate

rnrss
rnrss's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27823
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474208

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If at first you do not get an answer try adding more info not just reposting
the same

quick read:

Const reqOffset = 10 + initialOffset

why are you trying to set a constant = a variable???

try
reqOffset = 10 + initialOffset

also I don't use UCase for things like this just put
OPTION COMPARE TEXT
at the very top of the module and all code will ignore case in text
comparisons.

IF you repost:

What happened? What did tou expect to happen?

Try to limit to one part of the problem per posting, easier to fix one piece
at a time.

"rnrss" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the info!

I am trying to change the position: left to right on both the type
input data and also the output stream by changing a single number tha
remains constant and is only changed should I change the layou
format.

I also need the output to be caps.

The output offsets perfectly however the input does not, using the sam
technique. I am not sure what is happening to the input, so I file
several cells to see which it picked up...

Here is a pic:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ffsetissue.jpg

I changed the program as you suggested, removing Ucase and it no longe
gave me caps on the output so I put them back in. I left the optio
compare in at this point.

To get this to output I select the name cell and hit run and it output
the selected cell and uses that as the starting point to place that on
and all others to their specified location.

an offset of 0 is col a and an offset of 1 should be col b

Removing the constant helped, it seems to be stable now however when
enter an offset of 1 it picks cell 1+1 for the input... cellB + 1 o
cell C...

the cyan cells are where I placed the cursor and the yellow is wha
actually was outputted...

Option Compare Text
Dim genId As Integer

Sub requestData()

' description vars
Dim name As String
Dim iType As String

' get description
initialOffset = 1
name = UCase(ActiveCell.offset(0, initialOffset + 0).Value)
iType = UCase(ActiveCell.offset(0, initialOffset + 1).Value)

' must have symbol, secType
If name = "" Then
Beep
MsgBox ("enter name")
Exit Sub
End If
If iType = "" Then
Beep
MsgBox ("enter iTYPE.")
Exit Sub
End If

' Place in spreadsheet
reqOffset = initialOffset + 10
ActiveCell.offset(0, reqOffset + 1).Value = name
ActiveCell.offset(0, reqOffset + 2).Value = iType

ActiveCell.offset(1, 0).Activate
End Su

--
rnrs
rnrss's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2782

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Did an expansion of that little test and here are the results. again
the cyan is the cursor position for each value entered into
initoffset...

I guess I expected the top output with the bottom cursor positions...

It seems to skip a cell when moving the cursor to the right... Note
that BBB is missing in the second putput pattern...

Here is another pic of the results, hope that clarifies both the
problem and what i hope to get this to do...

[image:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...tissue002.jpg]

rnrss

--
rnrss
rnrss's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27823
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=474208

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hey I like the photobucket.com idea for posting I'll have to look into it

I think your problem is comming from the use of ActiveCell

I'm not sure because I only use ActiveCell as a last option and even then
just use it once, think about it when code is running cut, paste which cell
is active?

try

dim myCell as range
set myCell = activeCell

at begining of Code then just use MyCell - which will not change unless you
change it

set myCell = MyCell.Offset(1,0)

set myCell = nothing
end Sub
"rnrss" wrote:

Did an expansion of that little test and here are the results. again
the cyan is the cursor position for each value entered into
initoffset...

I guess I expected the top output with the bottom cursor positions...

It seems to skip a cell when moving the cursor to the right... Note
that BBB is missing in the second putput pattern...

Here is another pic of the results, hope that clarifies both the
problem and what i hope to get this to do...

[image:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...tissue002.jpg]

rnrss

--