Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default wish to make a Birthday reminder!!

hello all,
I am new to Excel programming. and as a start I wished to create a Bday
reminder where in one worksheet I will have all my friends names and
against them I will have their Birthdays written in DD-MM format. I
tried to write a VBA code to pick the date from the worksheet and check
it with the curent Date. this was the logic I thought to use.
But unfortunately I could retrieve the present date using NOW().....
can anyone help me or suggest me any code model for this kind of
application?
thanks in advance...
reagrds,
satya.

--
kiran1810
kiran1810's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27783

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Why not use conditional formatting under the format menu and skip the code.

If not familiar see Debra Dalgleish's site:
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html
Tom Ogilvy

"kiran1810" wrote
in message ...

hello all,
I am new to Excel programming. and as a start I wished to create a Bday
reminder where in one worksheet I will have all my friends names and
against them I will have their Birthdays written in DD-MM format. I
tried to write a VBA code to pick the date from the worksheet and check
it with the curent Date. this was the logic I thought to use.
But unfortunately I could retrieve the present date using NOW().....
can anyone help me or suggest me any code model for this kind of
application?
thanks in advance...
reagrds,
satya.

--
kiran1810
kiran1810's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=472948

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Kiran, I have a sheet set up for birthdays, if you want to take a look at it
let me know and I will send you a copy
--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
JNW JNW is offline

If you want to use code try the following:

1. In cell D1 of your worksheet place the formula =today()
2. Place the following in the workbook open event under "ThisWorkbook"

Private Sub Workbook_Open ()
Dim FriendBDay As Date

With Sheets("Sheet1")
''''This assumes that you have the birthdays listed in Column A and your
friends' names in column B
FriendBDay = Application.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(.Range("D1") ,
..Range("A:B"), 2, False)
End With

If FriendBDay < "#N/A" Then
MsgBox "Today is " & FriendBDay & "'s birthday!"

This won't work if you have 2 or more friends who share the same birthday as
it will only return the first name it finds.

"kiran1810" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Think you will get an error if Vlookup fails. Have you tested this? It
worked for you when .Range("D1") was not found in column A?

Tom Ogilvy

"kiran1810" wrote:

hello all,
I am new to Excel programming. and as a start I wished to create a Bday
reminder where in one worksheet I will have all my friends names and
against them I will have their Birthdays written in DD-MM format. I
tried to write a VBA code to pick the date from the worksheet and check
it with the curent Date. this was the logic I thought to use.
But unfortunately I could retrieve the present date using NOW().....
can anyone help me or suggest me any code model for this kind of
application?
thanks in advance...
reagrds,
satya.