Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default synching two lists

Just came across a bit of a challenge in a project I've been working on for
weeks. I need to keep two lists synched up with their changes. Two files,
both in Excel 2000. Original entries get pasted each day from one file to
the other. Then at the start of the next day, each list is used by two
different people (starting at time 0 with exactly the same data, but then
adding different pieces througout the day AND updating the previous days'
entries with various changes). Appending the one file's daily new content to
the other is easy (and necessary because the overall list gets used in a
pivot table). But I have no idea how to synch up the two lists with changes
in the one pasted on the unchanged (or even worse, also changed) entries of
the other.If any of that makes sense and someone is very creative here,
please help.

I am on a deadline for this and just came across this disastrous realization.

--
Boris
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This is one of those areas where Excel is a little lacking. It does not
handle concurency well. If the ultimate goal is to create a pivot table then
why not have everything stored in an Access database and then just pivot off
of a query in the database. This gets you around the whole issue of
concurrency and who had which record last and which values are new and which
ones are old. Your two users can access the same database at the same time
and changes will occur in realtime. Reports can be generated from the
database and you are no longer tied to a 65,536 limit. I undersatnd that this
will be a fairly major re-write but sometimes there is no easy way around it.
Anything you do on the Excel side will be a band-aid solution which is
intended to fit a square peg through a round hole. Just my two cents.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"BorisS" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

you are right, Jim. Problem is that this is a project is now due, and they
want Excel. Unskilled Excel users, and even less so at Access. Granted I
could have thought ahead and brushed up on Access and locking it down to
where it would not have been hard for them to use it, but can't do it now.
Have to get this done in Excel somehow.
--
Boris