Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to display map that user selects region

I want to have an Excel column that would specify a location region. And to
make it easier I would like Excel to bring up a map when the user clicks on
the cell, and then allow the user to click a region on the map which would
then close the map and display the name in the cell. How would I go about
doing something like that? I presume I need a macro. I have a computer
science background, but not in macros.
Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jack,

You could have an Excel event capture when a client clicks on a certain
cell. You could then launch a browser, or embed one in your current
spreadsheet. Using the DOM (document object model), you could recognize when
certain events occur in the browser and pass that information back to Excel.
--
http://HelpExcel.com
1-888-INGENIO

"Jack Gur" wrote:

I want to have an Excel column that would specify a location region. And to
make it easier I would like Excel to bring up a map when the user clicks on
the cell, and then allow the user to click a region on the map which would
then close the map and display the name in the cell. How would I go about
doing something like that? I presume I need a macro. I have a computer
science background, but not in macros.
Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

make a second sheet. Draw the elements of your map using the Freeform shape
found in the autoshapes of the drawing toolbar. Each region should be a
separate shape. Assign a macro to each shape. The macro will then fire
when the shape is clicked . The macro should perform the appropriate
action. You can then display this sheet when necessary.

Tom Ogilvy