Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Freezing the top line of a sheet with visual basic

Hi;

I have a workbook with three sheets - Search Form, Results and Data Table.
The search form allows the user to type in information into one of ten
fields. Each field is aasociated with a column in the data table ; any hits
go into the results sheet. The header row of the data table goes in as the
top row of the results sheet. I'd like to freeze the results top row so that
when someone scrolls through, the top row stays on top so the user can see
the column descriptions. Also. I'd like to have the header row of the results
sheet print out no matter where the user has scrolled to.

I saw the following code in another post but it gave me a "run-time error 9:
subscript out of range" error; the second line was indicated as the culprit:

Worksheets("Sheet3").Activate
Sheet3.Range("A1:J1").Select
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True

Any help is greatly appreciated.
--
JJFJR
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sheet3.Range("A1:J1").Select

This will give an error if there is no worksheet with codename "Sheet3".
Note the codename can be distinct from the name on the sheet tab.

Maybe try
activeworkbook.sheets("Sheet3").Range("A1:J1").Sel ect
or
thisworkbook.sheets("Sheet3").Range("A1:J1").Selec t

depending on where your code is running.

Tim

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"jjfjr" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi jjfjr! I tried the code you gave below and it didn't issue an error.
But, it froze the wrong panes - the panes above and to the left of cell
G18.
If you want to freeze rows and/or columns, select the cell directly
below the specified rows and to the right of the specified columns.
Example, if you want to freeze row 1 and column A, you select, cell B2,
which is directly below row 1 and to the right of column A. Then,
FREEZE!

Worksheets("Sheet3").Activate
Worksheets("Sheet3").Range("B2").Select

jjfjr Wrote:
[...]

T-ョex
T-ョex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26572
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401601

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi;

Thanks for the response. I want to freeze the top row (header row)
only...what do I select? I need all of the cells in the rest of the sheet to
scroll.
--
JJFJR

jjfjr Wrote:
[...]

T-ツョex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26572
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401601

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi! If you only want to freeze row 1, then you select cell A2.

Worksheets("Sheet3").Activate
Worksheets("Sheet3").Range("A2").Select

jjfjr Wrote:
Hi;

Thanks for the response. I want to freeze the top row (header row)
only...what do I select? I need all of the cells in the rest of th
sheet to
scroll.
--
JJFJR

jjfjr Wrote:
[...]

View this thread

T-ョe
T-ョex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2657
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40160

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi;

I inserted the following code into my Search button code:

Sheet3.Activate
Sheet3.Range("A2").Select
ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True

The Results sheets does freeze the top row, specifically cells A1 to J1.
However, when I scroll, it seems that the entire area of A1 to J6 is frozen.
Also, when I try to scroll horizontally, the entire columns A through E are
also frozen. As I said before all I want frozen is the first row: cells A1 to
J1.

Before the above code is encountered, I clear out the first 1000 rows of the
results sheet:

Sheet3.Range("A2:J1000").ClearContents

This is done to clear out the results from any previous searches.

Also, just before the freeze code, I have the following code:

Sheet3.Columns.AutoFit
Sheet3.Rows.AutoFit

This is done to reduce the area of the results sheet as much as possible.

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.
--
JJFJR

jjfjr Wrote:
[...]

T-テつョex's Profile:

View this thread:

T-ツョex
T-ツョex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26572
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=401601

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi jjfjr! I don't think it's possible to freeze just specific cells
using FreezePanes.
Sorry... I don't think I can help you with your problem... :(