Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sort a row of strings, some containing blanks

I am trying to sort a row, some cells contains strings and others
blanks. Range = "B18" to "AY18"
The "SORT" below does nothing! Can anyone see why?

---------
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Dim OldRange As Range

Set OldRange = Worksheets("Variables").Range("FA_budget_lines")
OldRange.Sort 'Key1:=OldRange(1), Order1:=xlAscending, _ Header:=xlNo,
Orientation:=xlSortColumns

'some more code goes here...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Key argument is commented out, which looks a problem to me.

Also it is in workbook_open. DO you realise that only runs when the workbook
is opened, and have you put it in the ThisWorkbook code module?

Is FA_budget_lines a defined name?

--

HTH

RP

"KobusD" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am trying to sort a row, some cells contains strings and others
blanks. Range = "B18" to "AY18"
The "SORT" below does nothing! Can anyone see why?

---------
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Dim OldRange As Range

Set OldRange = Worksheets("Variables").Range("FA_budget_lines")
OldRange.Sort 'Key1:=OldRange(1), Order1:=xlAscending, _ Header:=xlNo,
Orientation:=xlSortColumns

'some more code goes here...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the swift reply! The " ' " was left there by mistake when I
posted.
"Yes" to all other questions....

For some reason it does not work when I run the macro (the same code is
in another module as well - also with no success). The range does
however sort if I go to Excel and do it manually.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

K,

Replace...
Orientation:=xlSortColumns
with...
Orientation:=xlLeftToRight

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"KobusD"
wrote in message
ups.com
I am trying to sort a row, some cells contains strings and others
blanks. Range = "B18" to "AY18"
The "SORT" below does nothing! Can anyone see why?
---------
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim OldRange As Range
Set OldRange = Worksheets("Variables").Range("FA_budget_lines")
OldRange.Sort 'Key1:=OldRange(1), Order1:=xlAscending, _ Header:=xlNo,
xlSortColumns
'some more code goes here...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It works! Thanks!!!
I'm curious to know why my setting did not work (is "SortColumns" only
applicable to Pivot tables?)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

K,
For some reason known only to Microsoft and maybe not even them,
using the Orientation constants requires you to be in a different universe...

xlLeftToRight = 2
xlTopToBottom = 1
while...
xlSortRows = 2
xlSortColumns = 1

Sorting columns, requires a constant with a value of 2.
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"KobusD" wrote in message oups.com...
It works! Thanks!!!
I'm curious to know why my setting did not work (is "SortColumns" only
applicable to Pivot tables?)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Jim.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Jim Cone" wrote in message
K,
For some reason known only to Microsoft and maybe not even them,
using the Orientation constants requires you to be in a different
universe...

xlLeftToRight = 2
xlTopToBottom = 1
while...
xlSortRows = 2
xlSortColumns = 1

Sorting columns, requires a constant with a value of 2.

What's wrong Jim?
KobusD wanted to sort on [B18:AY18] which is a row
not a column, then Orientation:=xlSortRows.
Why then xlSortRows and not xlSortRow?
I guess because xlSortRows is also applicable to matrices,
not only vectors.

"For some reason known only to Microsoft and maybe not even them, "
I agree with you many times it happens to be true.
But I think this is not the case.

Regards
Bruno

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bruno,
We are looking at different ends of the elephant.
When KobusD gets done, the columns will be in different positions.
I call that sorting columns.

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA,