Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help with populating cells using formulas or macros

Hi,

I have a problem that I've spent hours working on but even Microsof
customer support has not been any help.

I'm trying to work with a large data file where the data is groupe
into two types. Let's call them A & B. For each day of data, I have tw
data points, A & B. These are entered next to each other in the sam
row. It looks something like this:

A1 B1 A2 B2 A3 B3 ...

That is, for Day 1, I have data point A and data point B.

I want to be able to easily group all the "A" data and all the "B" dat
separately.

That is, in a separate part of the worksheet, I want to be able t
enter a reference for one of the cells, then highlight that cell an
drag it across a row so that the value of EVERY OTHER column in th
original data set populates the new row. That is, in my newly populate
row, I want to see:

A1 A2 A3 ....

I need the data in this format to graph it.

Can you anyone help?

Thanks,

David

--
dmsalvay197
dmsalvay1978's Profile:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=OFFSET($A1,0,(COLUMN(A1)-1)*2)

Then drag fill across and down.

Tom Ogilvy

"dmsalvay1978"
wrote in message
news:dmsalvay1978.1ulfif_1125432325.3058@excelforu m-nospam.com...

Hi,

I have a problem that I've spent hours working on but even Microsoft
customer support has not been any help.

I'm trying to work with a large data file where the data is grouped
into two types. Let's call them A & B. For each day of data, I have two
data points, A & B. These are entered next to each other in the same
row. It looks something like this:

A1 B1 A2 B2 A3 B3 ...

That is, for Day 1, I have data point A and data point B.

I want to be able to easily group all the "A" data and all the "B" data
separately.

That is, in a separate part of the worksheet, I want to be able to
enter a reference for one of the cells, then highlight that cell and
drag it across a row so that the value of EVERY OTHER column in the
original data set populates the new row. That is, in my newly populated
row, I want to see:

A1 A2 A3 ....

I need the data in this format to graph it.

Can you anyone help?

Thanks,

David

--
dmsalvay1978
dmsalvay1978's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=400568

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

Thanks so much for the reply. I think that I may have not explained th
problem well, though, because I tried your formula and didn't get th
result I was looking for. Maybe I can explain the problem better.

I have data in the following cells:

A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 G1 H1 ...

I want to create a new row that contains the following data:

A1 C1 E1 G1 ...

Maybe I'm not entering your formula in correctly but I didn't end u
with the kind of result shown above.

Any more ideas?

--David

--
dmsalvay197
dmsalvay1978's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40056

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tom,

I just figured it out. It took me a while to realize that I had to
change the number I was subtracting the from COLUMN() function
depending on what my start column was. Thanks so much!

--David

--
dmsalvay1978
dmsalvay1978's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26801

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Column(A1)-1

always returns zero
when you copy it to the right, the A1 changes to B1 and the result is a 1,
the C1 and the result is a 2.

Multiplied by 2 and offset from A1 this produces

A1, C1, E1, G1
in successive cells

you said you wanted

A1 C1 E1 G1 ...