Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default excel

I am having a problem with opening attatched excel files. Every time I try
to open one from an email it pops up a box that says "The system cannot find
the file specified." I don't have a clue what could be wrong. I can still
open Excel files already saved on my hard drive but not ones sent as an
attachment from an email. Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

- not sure but what is the 'Ignore Other Applications' setting in excel?
(menu Tools Options, tab General). If checked, try unchecking it. If not,
then i have no idea.
- as a last resort, you can download the file from the email and ten open it
from your hard drive. But that's probably what you are doing now.
Sébastien
<http://www.ondemandanalysis.com

"Dice31213" wrote:

I am having a problem with opening attatched excel files. Every time I try
to open one from an email it pops up a box that says "The system cannot find
the file specified." I don't have a clue what could be wrong. I can still
open Excel files already saved on my hard drive but not ones sent as an
attachment from an email. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I tried this and it worked. I would get the same error message as below while
opening an attachment. If I opened a file on my desktop, it would just not
open. (no error) It all works now. Thanks for the info and thanks for asking
the question.

"Dice31213" wrote:

I am having a problem with opening attatched excel files. Every time I try
to open one from an email it pops up a box that says "The system cannot find
the file specified." I don't have a clue what could be wrong. I can still
open Excel files already saved on my hard drive but not ones sent as an
attachment from an email. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have this problem, and also where it cannot find the file on my hard drive.
I can open them by going "the long way" but I can only preview most times. It
doesn't make any diffeerence if they are saved to desktop.

"Dice31213" wrote:

I am having a problem with opening attatched excel files. Every time I try
to open one from an email it pops up a box that says "The system cannot find
the file specified." I don't have a clue what could be wrong. I can still
open Excel files already saved on my hard drive but not ones sent as an
attachment from an email. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Dice31213" wrote:

I am having a problem with opening attatched excel files. Every time I try
to open one from an email it pops up a box that says "The system cannot find
the file specified." I don't have a clue what could be wrong. I can still
open Excel files already saved on my hard drive but not ones sent as an
attachment from an email. Can anyone help?

Try to repair Office. Go to Help - Detect and Repair.

There is a handler between application and OS saying how and what
application should open a file.
Repairing Office installation should help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you, your post solved my issue -- I have been messing with this for
months i unchecked the "ignore other programs using DDE" and now i can open
excel files in QuickBooks online.