Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Automatic Range Naming using Advanced Filter?

When I run Advanced Filter, Excel apparently automatically creates the new
rangenames "Criteria" and "Extract" for the associated ranges that are
specified in the Criteria Range and Copy To portions of the dialog box.

If I run the Advanced Filter a second time, specifying different ranges for
Criteria Range and Copy To, I find that afterwards the range names "Criteria"
and "Extract" have been moved to these new locations.

Before I discovered this problem I had created the range names "Criteria"
and "Extract" myself, using them in VB code, etc. I changed my names to
something else, which seems to work around the problem.

I cannot recall ever seeing a situation where Excel creates a range name
without being asked to. Is this bizarre or what? Perhaps "Criteria" and
"Extract" are key words that the user should not utilize for range names? Am
I missing something?

Art
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

create a query table using Data =Get External data and it creates range
names.

Put in an autofilter and it creates a range name.

So the behavior is not unknown.

The names you cite are those associated with the attributes you decide,
although I will admit that I did not was not aware Excel created a defined
name for those. I was under the impression that if you already had such
names defined, advance filter would use those. So what you say makes
sense.

Tom Ogilvy

"ArthurJ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I cannot recall ever seeing a situation where Excel creates a range name
without being asked to.

Every time you set a print range Excel creates the name "Print_Area". There
are 8 or 10 reserved names used by Excel. Print_Titles is one, Database
another. I don't know if they are documented anywhere.

--
Jim