Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
ArthurJ ArthurJ is offline

Default Automatic Range Naming using Advanced Filter?

When I run Advanced Filter, Excel apparently automatically creates the new
rangenames "Criteria" and "Extract" for the associated ranges that are
specified in the Criteria Range and Copy To portions of the dialog box.

If I run the Advanced Filter a second time, specifying different ranges for
Criteria Range and Copy To, I find that afterwards the range names "Criteria"
and "Extract" have been moved to these new locations.

Before I discovered this problem I had created the range names "Criteria"
and "Extract" myself, using them in VB code, etc. I changed my names to
something else, which seems to work around the problem.

I cannot recall ever seeing a situation where Excel creates a range name
without being asked to. Is this bizarre or what? Perhaps "Criteria" and
"Extract" are key words that the user should not utilize for range names? Am
I missing something?

Art