Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Error 1004 when programming DataLabels.Position

When I use this code that I get from Excel VBA 2002 I get an error 1004.

Dim se as Series
Dim pts as Points
Dim pt as Point

Set se = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2)
se.HasDataLabels = True
Set pts =se.Points
For each pt in pts
pt.datalabel.posiotion = xlLOabelPositionAbove - error 1004 happens
here.
next pt

Does anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi
not sure but the code you posted has this

xlLOabelPositionAbove

that is misspelled. should be xlLabelPositionAbove.
did you know that?

regards
FSt1
"hturk" wrote:

When I use this code that I get from Excel VBA 2002 I get an error 1004.

Dim se as Series
Dim pts as Points
Dim pt as Point

Set se = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2)
se.HasDataLabels = True
Set pts =se.Points
For each pt in pts
pt.datalabel.posiotion = xlLOabelPositionAbove - error 1004 happens
here.
next pt

Does anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You are probably trying to specify the position for a column chart type. That
constant (xlLabelPositionAbove) is valid for line graph but is not acceptable
for column chart type.

Alok

"hturk" wrote:

When I use this code that I get from Excel VBA 2002 I get an error 1004.

Dim se as Series
Dim pts as Points
Dim pt as Point

Set se = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2)
se.HasDataLabels = True
Set pts =se.Points
For each pt in pts
pt.datalabel.posiotion = xlLOabelPositionAbove - error 1004 happens
here.
next pt

Does anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Alok

Thanks I will try tommorrow morning and I will let you know how it went.

How can I found out which constants apply to which charts.

Thank You Very Much
Harry

"hturk" wrote:

When I use this code that I get from Excel VBA 2002 I get an error 1004.

Dim se as Series
Dim pts as Points
Dim pt as Point

Set se = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2)
se.HasDataLabels = True
Set pts =se.Points
For each pt in pts
pt.datalabel.posiotion = xlLOabelPositionAbove - error 1004 happens
here.
next pt

Does anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"hturk" wrote in message
How can I found out which constants apply to which charts.

Hi Harry,

Download and install my XY Chart Labeler utility from the web site below
my signature. Once installed, open Excel, go into the Visual Basic Editor,
locate the XYChartLabeler project in the Project Window and set the IsAddIn
property of its ThisWorkbook object to False.

The top table on the worksheet that you can now see back in the Excel
user interface provides a complete list of which label position constants
can be used with which chart types.

--
Rob Bovey, Excel MVP
Application Professionals

* Take your Excel development skills to the next level.
* Professional Excel Development
http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

"hturk" wrote:

When I use this code that I get from Excel VBA 2002 I get an error
1004.

Dim se as Series
Dim pts as Points
Dim pt as Point

Set se = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2)
se.HasDataLabels = True
Set pts =se.Points
For each pt in pts
pt.datalabel.posiotion = xlLOabelPositionAbove - error 1004
happens
here.
next pt

Does anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rob

Thank You very much. I loaded the XY Chart Labeler Utility and I can now
see the labels that are associated with each chart. Is the utility specific
to a single workbook or all workbooks that I open. The reason for the
question is that I create charts and pivot tables from an Access Database
through VBA automation code and I noticed that the Utility is not available
when excel is opened from within Access.

"hturk" wrote:

When I use this code that I get from Excel VBA 2002 I get an error
1004.

Dim se as Series
Dim pts as Points
Dim pt as Point

Set se = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2)
se.HasDataLabels = True
Set pts =se.Points
For each pt in pts
pt.datalabel.posiotion = xlLOabelPositionAbove - error 1004
happens
here.
next pt

Does anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"hturk" wrote in message
Thank You very much. I loaded the XY Chart Labeler Utility and I can now
see the labels that are associated with each chart. Is the utility
specific
to a single workbook or all workbooks that I open. The reason for the
question is that I create charts and pivot tables from an Access Database
through VBA automation code and I noticed that the Utility is not
available
when excel is opened from within Access.

Hi Harry,

The chart labeler will operate on any workbook open in the same instance
of Excel. You don't see it when you open Excel via automation because Excel
doesn't load any add-ins when opened that way. You can load the chart
labeler after you start Excel with:

xlApp.AddIns("XY Chart Labeler 6.24").Installed = True

Where xlApp is an object variable referencing the instance of the Excel
application you've started via automation.

There's no way to call the chart labeler from VBA in the current
version, so you'll have to run it manually from the Excel UI. The chart
labeler also only works on Excel charts. It can't label charts created using
MSGraph.

--
Rob Bovey, Excel MVP
Application Professionals
http://www.appspro.com/

* Take your Excel development skills to the next level.
* Professional Excel Development
http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

when you open Excel using OLE Automation, addins are not loaded
automatically as they would be if opened manually. You would need to load
the addin explicitely in your code.

Tom Ogilvy

"hturk" wrote:

When I use this code that I get from Excel VBA 2002 I get an

error
1004.

Dim se as Series
Dim pts as Points
Dim pt as Point

Set se = ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(2)
se.HasDataLabels = True
Set pts =se.Points
For each pt in pts
pt.datalabel.posiotion = xlLOabelPositionAbove - error

1004
happens
here.
next pt

Does anyone have an idea as to what I am doing wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rob I did not realize that you are one of the authors of a book I purchased a
couple of months ago. Professional Excel Development is a great book and I
learned alot. Thank you for a great book.

Harry

"Rob Bovey" wrote:

"hturk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"hturk" wrote in message
Rob I did not realize that you are one of the authors of a book I
purchased a
couple of months ago. Professional Excel Development is a great book and
learned alot. Thank you for a great book.

Hi Harry,

Glad you liked it, thanks for letting me know.