Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default validation all cells different format

Hello -

I have a number of cells with different formats, e.g. E5 is a text cell that
has to be filled in; E6 is a numeric cell that has to be filled in and E7 is
a date cell with the format mm/dd/yyyy.

I would like to put a button in that will validate all the cells. How do I
go about doing this? Is it possible?

Any help will be immensely appreciated!
--
Sandy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Good morning Sandy

It is possible, but why not use the easier route of using Excel's
validation feature. Data Validation will allow you to set parameters
up for any individual cell, and the validation rules will be checked
whenever the user attempts to leave a cell.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dominic -

Thanks for your response. There are actually 64 cells that need to be
validated on one sheet and eight on another. As people work on these, they
don't for example, always have all of the answers and partially fill out the
form until they get them. When it is finally submitted, it is easy for them
to miss a couple. In other words, sometimes, they don't enter a cell yet.
Therefore, validation upon leaving won't work.

I am used to working with .Net which makes validation easy. If something
isn't filled in and a submit button is clicked, a list of incorrect/blank
answers can be returned to them. I was looking for this type of
functionality.

Any suggestions?
--
Sandy

"dominicb" wrote:

Good morning Sandy

It is possible, but why not use the easier route of using Excel's
validation feature. Data Validation will allow you to set parameters
up for any individual cell, and the validation rules will be checked
whenever the user attempts to leave a cell.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18932
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=398472

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just an idea. Why don't you conditional format all these input cells. When
blank, put a color. So once the user has completed the form, he can easily
see the blanks which are colored.

Mangesh

"dominicb" wrote:

Good morning Sandy

It is possible, but why not use the easier route of using Excel's
validation feature. Data Validation will allow you to set parameters
up for any individual cell, and the validation rules will be checked
whenever the user attempts to leave a cell.

HTH

DominicB

--
dominicb
dominicb's Profile:

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Sandy

As far as I know no such option exists in VBA, or in Excel in general.
You could resort to using VBA but to check 60+ cells it would be a pai
to code, especially if these cells are prone to change position.

Dominic

--
dominic
dominicb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1893