Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jwr jwr is offline

Default Pull info from access to template in excel?????

I am new to anything in excel other than the standard worksheets.

I need to create a template in excel that will pull information from my
access database. I have no idea as to how to accomplish this.

Can you give me any direction?
Thank you,
JR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi JR,

You could use the External Data feature of excel (menu Data External Data
New Database Query...).

Once data is loaded, click on the data. Now, there should be a Query toolbar
and additional commands in the menu Data External Data ... with
additional options/settings.
Eg: you can set the query as a background query, to refresh every x minutes,
when the file opens...

This feature may not be flexible enough though. In this case, please let us
know in detail what you are try to accomplish.
SĂ©bastien
<http://www.ondemandanalysis.com

"jwr" wrote:

I am new to anything in excel other than the standard worksheets.

I need to create a template in excel that will pull information from my
access database. I have no idea as to how to accomplish this.

Can you give me any direction?
Thank you,
JR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jwr jwr is offline

I have a query in access that contains 44 fields. I have created a report
from that query. I am attempting to get the query (or report - whichever
one works better in excel) to excel where I can "lock" all but 2 of those
fields. I will then email that portion of worksheet (Control number) that
pertains to a particular individual who will input the information into
those 2 fields and email back to me. Being able to send only information
that pertains to "Control number" is also a question of mine. Once I get
the email back - which may be more than one worksheet - with the fields
completed, I want to "put the worksheet back together" where I can email all
of the replies for all "Control Numbers"on to another individual rather than
emailing more than one worksheet per Control Number.

I would like the ability for the worksheet to refresh from my access as you
suggested. Also, is it possible for the "2 fields" be updated from excel
back to access?

What I am attempting may not be possible. Thank you for your prompt reply
and any assistance that you can provide. Again, I am definitely a novice at
this!
"sebastienm" wrote in message
Hi JR,

You could use the External Data feature of excel (menu Data External

Data
New Database Query...).

Once data is loaded, click on the data. Now, there should be a Query

toolbar
and additional commands in the menu Data External Data ... with
additional options/settings.
Eg: you can set the query as a background query, to refresh every x

minutes,
when the file opens...

This feature may not be flexible enough though. In this case, please let

us
know in detail what you are try to accomplish.
Sébastien

"jwr" wrote:

I am new to anything in excel other than the standard worksheets.

I need to create a template in excel that will pull information from my
access database. I have no idea as to how to accomplish this.

Can you give me any direction?
Thank you,
JR

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You should be able to connect/query through the External Data feature
explained earlier.
However, to edit some returned fields from excel back to access, there is no
built -in feature, it would therefore have to be programmed which is a more
intensive task.

At this point, first try to get the data into excel as explained above. Once
it is done and you are confortable with the External Data feature, post a new
question for the next step.

"jwr" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
jwr jwr is offline

I attempted to import external data from Microsoft access. I have gone
through the setup of selecting my database and the information that I wanted
imported. When I click save query (query wizard finish), the message "Too
few parameters. Expected 2." appears. When I select Help, the message
stated
Driver Error. This error was returned by the driver.

What do I need to look at? I have Windows XP Pro and am using Access 2003.
I selected Access mdb as my driver.