Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flow chart?

Is there a way to get a flow chart of the code? I remember flo
charting back in school and it was a big help.

Is there a module or something I can load to get a graphical flo
chart

--
Craig
Craigm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2438

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think you're supposed to create the flow chart before you write the code
;-)

Regards

Trevor

"Craigm" wrote in
message ...

Is there a way to get a flow chart of the code? I remember flow
charting back in school and it was a big help.

Is there a module or something I can load to get a graphical flow
chart?

--
Craigm
Craigm's Profile:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flow ch

There is no tool for createing a flow chart from existing code that I know
of. As Trevor aludes to that would be kind of backwards.

Bob aludes to the fact that Flow charts are superceded by UML (univeral
modeling language) for object oriented code. But it seems to me that VBA is
not true object oriented and most of the code I see is more procedural than
OO. So Flow charts might help a bit (but will probably get kind of confusing
when you start dealing with sheet objects, range objects, the active cell and
the like...).
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Craigm" wrote:

Is there a way to get a flow chart of the code? I remember flow
charting back in school and it was a big help.

Is there a module or something I can load to get a graphical flow
chart?

--
Craigm
Craigm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24381
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397821

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob

you still have to decide what you want/need to do with the object and under
what circumstances. I don't think it hurts to have an outline of the
process you want to implement ... but I must admit that more often these
days I work it out as I go along.

I still try to structure my code from the top down and use lots of comments
which, in my view, is often better than a free standing flow chart that will
likely never be referred to.

Anyway, getting hypothetical now ... seems the answer to the OP is "no, no
tool"

Regards

Trevor

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
Do flowcharts work so well in an OO world?

--

HTH

RP

"Trevor Shuttleworth" wrote in message
I think you're supposed to create the flow chart before you write the
code
;-)

Regards

Trevor

"Craigm" wrote in
message ...

Is there a way to get a flow chart of the code? I remember flow
charting back in school and it was a big help.

Is there a module or something I can load to get a graphical flow
chart?

--
Craigm
Craigm's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My point Trevor is that OO is event driven, more interested in inputs and
outputs, there is not a flow in that sense. Design is important clearly, but
we have a different design paradigm.

Bob

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Flow chart of code? Is there a way to produce a graphical flo

But VB is not strictly OO. It is in fact very far from it. Try to use UML and
you will run into a pile of problems because most of the code is not OO but
rather procedural. Of course who am I to talk I don't do either. I go with
Trevor and I just comment the heck out of things...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A flow chart can still be a useful tool. When the program responds to an event, it
follows a sequence of steps, and the flow chart can help the programmer navigate
these steps. A node in the flow chart may denote a certain condition, where the
program is awaiting an event, and during which only some events are possible. The
node may have several branches, corresponding to the possible reactions to events.

I often draw a quick flow chart, not for documentation as much as to work out a
tough patch of code.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Jim Thomlinson wrote:

There is no tool for createing a flow chart from existing code that I know
of. As Trevor aludes to that would be kind of backwards.

Bob aludes to the fact that Flow charts are superceded by UML (univeral
modeling language) for object oriented code. But it seems to me that VBA is
not true object oriented and most of the code I see is more procedural than
OO. So Flow charts might help a bit (but will probably get kind of confusing
when you start dealing with sheet objects, range objects, the active cell and
the like...).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't think I am arguing with either Trevor's or your approach Jim. I am
just saying that a flowchart in a real Excel app would be about as useful a
documentation tool as ... well you can find an appropriate phrase. VBA is
not object orientation, but it is object oriented IMO, especially when you
use classes extensively. In such an app, the design is not procedural, it is
event driven as I said before.

I agree with Jon (Peltier) in believing that flowcharts might be useful as a
transient aid in working through a particular logic flow (responding to one
particular event say), but to document the app, forget it.

--

HTH

RP