Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default HELP-Dictionary

Greetings,

I need some help with excell. I have an access database that serves a
a dictionary. There are two colums, one serving as the terms and th
second serving as the definitions. By creating a form in Acess I wa
able to make the term coloum serachable. When the word was found that
wanted, I could press enter and the definition in the correspondin
colum would appear.

I am trying to get this same effect in excel, yet I am not sure how t
do it. Someone mentioned using pivit tables and forms.

I would apreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
Da

--
dfisch
dfisch8's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2651

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

A simple form with a textbox for the word, and a (larger) textbox for the
definition, with a Search button.

Assuming that the data is all in a worksheet called Words, with the words in
column A, and the definitions in column B, the code for the button would be

Private Sub cmdSearch_Click()
Dim iPos As Long

With Textbox1
If .Text < "" Then
iPos =
Application.Match(.Text,Worksheets("Words").Range( "A:A"),0)
If iPos = 0 Then
Textbox2.Text = "Word not found"
Else
Textbox2.Text =
Application.Index(Worksheets("Words").Range("A:A") ,iPos)
End With

HTH

RP

"dfisch8" wrote in
message ...

Greetings,

I need some help with excell. I have an access database that serves as
a dictionary. There are two colums, one serving as the terms and the
second serving as the definitions. By creating a form in Acess I was
able to make the term coloum serachable. When the word was found that I
wanted, I could press enter and the definition in the corresponding
colum would appear.

I am trying to get this same effect in excel, yet I am not sure how to
do it. Someone mentioned using pivit tables and forms.

I would apreciate any help I can get.

Thanks,
Dan

--
dfisch8
dfisch8's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397822

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

greetings,

thanks for the prompt reply. I seem to be having issues getting this
code to work, could you provide me with your e-mail and I can send you
my spreadsheet? If you could input it for me I would apreciate it.

thanks,
dan

--
dfisch8
dfisch8's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26515

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

bob dot phillips at tiscali dot co dot uk

do the obvious

--

HTH

RP

"dfisch8" wrote in
message ...

greetings,

thanks for the prompt reply. I seem to be having issues getting this
code to work, could you provide me with your e-mail and I can send you
my spreadsheet? If you could input it for me I would apreciate it.

thanks,
dan

--
dfisch8
dfisch8's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=397822

Customizing a dictionary Grant Excel Worksheet Functions 3 September 10th 09 01:22 PM
dictionary Libby Excel Programming 0 November 15th 04 12:53 PM
Dictionary Functions Wandering Mage Excel Programming 0 June 11th 04 04:01 AM
Dictionary objet Zwi Excel Programming 2 January 26th 04 01:57 PM