Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default CSV Newbie Question

If this question has already been asked somewhere, please let me know,
but...
I know that to start a new line in a CSV file you put "\n" in it, but
how do you start a new line within a cell?

Hopefully this is a dumb and easy question.
Thanks.
Brian Munz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

or in code
"ABCD" & chr(10) & "EFGH"

or
"ABCD" & vbLF & "EFGH"

format the cell to wrap text

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
oups.com...
If this question has already been asked somewhere, please let me know,
but...
I know that to start a new line in a CSV file you put "\n" in it, but
how do you start a new line within a cell?

Hopefully this is a dumb and easy question.
Thanks.
Brian Munz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sure it does. Try opening excel, using the alt-enter suggested above in
a cell, then saving as csv. You just have to put "'s around the content
of the cell in the raw csv data. So """ABCD" & vbLF & "EFGH""" will
work.

Bruce Dunwiddie
http://www.csvreader.com

Tim Williams wrote:
You can't do that and save it as csv - I don't think csv supports line
breaks within fields...

Tim

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

wrote in message
oups.com...
If this question has already been asked somewhere, please let me know,
but...
I know that to start a new line in a CSV file you put "\n" in it, but
how do you start a new line within a cell?

Hopefully this is a dumb and easy question.
Thanks.
Brian Munz

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

But there could be a problem with the application that will open that .csv file
next.

Some may see that linefeed character as an actually linefeed. Others would see
that character as part of the field.

Tim Williams wrote:
You can't do that and save it as csv - I don't think csv supports line
breaks within fields...

Tim

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

wrote in message
oups.com...
If this question has already been asked somewhere, please let me know,
but...
I know that to start a new line in a CSV file you put "\n" in it, but
how do you start a new line within a cell?

Hopefully this is a dumb and easy question.
Thanks.
Brian Munz

--

Dave Peterson