Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Color Index

Hello,
I have a bar chart is made and then updated. For some reason, when
updating, the color changes from blue to purple. When I ask what the color
index is for the bar, prior to updating, I get -4105. Not the color index I
would expect for blue. I used:

Activechart.seriescollection(1).interior.colorinde x

Any ideas on what is happening? Is the -4105 some default setting?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bill,

In a typical chart, Excel automatically applies colours to fill'able type
series "same as" the colours in the 6th row of the palette (not shown in the
dropdown palette). From colorindex 17 in the order the series were added,
typically the order the series were added.

Eg, the xlAutomatic (-4105) fill colour for the third series will be "same
as" colorindex 19.

Depending on the chart, or what you have done to the chart, this rule may
not always apply. Eg, try deleting series #2 of #3, then add a new series.

Regards.
Peter T

ink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello,
I have a bar chart is made and then updated. For some reason, when
updating, the color changes from blue to purple. When I ask what the
color index is for the bar, prior to updating, I get -4105. Not the
color index I would expect for blue. I used:

Activechart.seriescollection(1).interior.colorinde x

Any ideas on what is happening? Is the -4105 some default setting?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you change your setting for the window font color in the windows (not
excel) settings, it changes the color in the cells that are set for
xlautomatic - so it isn't necessarily the black(ish) font color.

Tom Ogilvy

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
It is the black(ish) font colour, but presumably as it is called automatic
it can be changed, or MS have reserved the option to make it configurable.

--

HTH

RP

ink.net...

"Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello,
I have a bar chart is made and then updated. For some reason, when
updating, the color changes from blue to purple. When I ask what the
color index is for the bar, prior to updating, I get -4105. Not the
color index I would expect for blue. I used:

Activechart.seriescollection(1).interior.colorinde x

Any ideas on what is happening? Is the -4105 some default setting?

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Typo

From colorindex 17 in the order the series were added,
typically the order the series were added.

would make more sense written as:

From colorindex 17 in the order the series were added,
typically series index + 16

Peter T