Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Addressing a UserForm sub in a VB dll

Hi,

I have a userform call frmGraph, and currently in my excel application I am
calling its initialise event something like this:
frmGraph.UserForm_Initialize

Now my problem is that, I am converting everything to a VB dll, and this
particular line is giving me the error object not found. Preceding it with
ThisWorkbook e.g.
ThisWorkbook.frmGraph.UserForm_Initialize
still does not solve the problem and gives the error "object does not
support this property" which is ofcourse expected.

How do I call this sub through my dll....?

--
- Mangesh
Office 2003 & Windows XP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Alasdair,

Thanks for the response.

Infact my problem does not relate much to the VB dll. Its rather basic. I
want to know what is the parent of UserForm1.UserForm_Initialize

or starting from ThisWorkbook and using intellisense, how can one arrive at
UserForm1.UserForm_Initialize

Something like:
ThisWorkbook.SOMETHING.SOMETHING.UserForm1.UserFor m_Initialize

Mangesh

"Alasdair Stirling" wrote in
message ...

"Mangesh Yadav" wrote:

Hi,

I have a userform call frmGraph, and currently in my excel application I

am
calling its initialise event something like this:
frmGraph.UserForm_Initialize

Now my problem is that, I am converting everything to a VB dll, and this
particular line is giving me the error object not found. Preceding it

with
ThisWorkbook e.g.
ThisWorkbook.frmGraph.UserForm_Initialize
still does not solve the problem and gives the error "object does not
support this property" which is ofcourse expected.

How do I call this sub through my dll....?

--
- Mangesh
Office 2003 & Windows XP

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mangesh,

Referring to your original question - you say you are converting everything
to a vb6 dll, so why are you trying to call a vba userform from your dll. Is
that indeed what you are trying to do?

I don't follow why you want to call UserForm_Initialize(). This event, and
code within, will run automatically as soon as you make the first reference
to the Userform. Typically that might be Load or Show, but could be any sort
of ref.

Regards,
Peter T

"Mangesh Yadav" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.

Basically I have an established excel application. And now I am turning some
of the excel macros into VB dll. The line
call UserForm1.UserForm_Initialize
runs well in excel, but it gives an error in the dll. So my question was
starting with ThisWorkbook, how do you arrive at UserForm1 using
intellisense.

For some reason, I want to run the Initialize event without an actual LOAD
Form call.

Mangesh

"Mangesh Yadav" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Now I have the following 3 macros in my excel application which is running
fine

My Excel macros:

UserForm1 module : (2 macros below)
Sub UserForm_Initialize()
Call UFTest
End Sub

Sub UFTest()
' doing something
End Sub

Standard module: (1 macro in the standard module)
Sub Main()
UserForm1.UFTest
End Sub

Now I am converting the sub main to a vb dll, while keeping the userform
macros untouched
Sub Main(myApp)
UserForm1.UFTest ' gives error "object required"
End Sub

In excel I would call this as:
Call Main(ThisWorkbook)

So my question is, in the VB code above how do I call the UFTest sub from
the userform module...?

"Mangesh Yadav" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The short explanation is: You should not do callback from VB into XL.
i.e. when you have an XL addin that uses an VB DLL, the VB DLL should
not use custom procedures or custom classes inside XL, this is an
important design issue.

This said, it is possible to do this, but with class modules this
becomes very tricky. With Userforms i'm not even surer that this is
possible without the following Hack(use at your own risk)

In the XL addin set the following Macro:

Public Function LoadUserForm(varForm As Variant) As Object

Set LoadUserForm = VBA.UserForms.Add(varForm)
' see this reference is not available outside the XL VBA project!!!! so
no way of opening an Userform from VB directly
End Function

in yout VB Code

Sub Main(myapp as Workbook)
Dim XL as Excel.Application

Set XL = myapp.parent

XL.run (myapp.name &"!LoadUserForm","UserForm1").UFTest
' runs the form with helper function in XL addin.
End SUb

Dm Unseen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Mangesh,

I still don't entirely follow what you are doing. As I mentioned before it's
not necessary to explicitly call the vba Userform Intialize event, it will
automatically run as soon as you make the first reference to the form.

Maybe you can adapt something along the lines of this demo to your needs.
However I don't know how to declare the vba userform in vb6, other than As
Object, to get the userforms' intellisense in vb6.

'' VB6 ActiveX dll named "QuickRef"
'' code in Class named "hello" in QuickRef
'' xlApp not used in this demo

Dim xlApp As Excel.Application
Dim oUF As Object
Private vArr()

Public Property Set prXLapp(xl As Excel.Application)
Set xlApp = xl
End Property
Public Property Set prUF(uf As Object)
Set oUF = uf
End Property
Public Sub Test()
Dim n As Long
n = oUF.prx
MsgBox n, , "vb6 Test"
oUF.prx = 333
oUF.Commandbutton1.Caption = "Hide Me"
oUF.Show
MsgBox "Useform1 closed"
End Sub
Private Sub Class_Terminate()
Set oUF = Nothing
Set xlApp = Nothing
End Sub

'' vba normal module
''
Dim vb6CL As QuickRef.hello
Sub Main()
Set vb6CL = New QuickRef.hello
Set vb6CL.prXLapp = Application
Set vb6CL.prUF = UserForm1
vb6CL.Test
MsgBox UserForm1.prX, , "vba Main"
ClearUp
End Sub

Sub ClearUp()
Set vb6CL = Nothing
Unload UserForm1
End Sub

'' vba Userform1 with a button named "CommandButton12

Dim x As Long
Public Property Let prX(n As Long)
x = n
End Property
Public Property Get prX() As Long
prX = x
End Property

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Me.Hide
End Sub

1. set a value to form var' X in the initialize event
2. get & display X in vb6
3 vb6 change X
4 vb6 change caption of form button
5 display the new value X in vba

Whilst this demo seems to work, I'm not at all sure it's a good way of doing
things, at the least it's a bit odd!

Regards,
Peter T

"Mangesh Yadav" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi DM Unseen

Thanks for the suggestions. Although at the first try, it doesn't seem to be
working in my case (need to try harder, but no time at the moment). Will let
you know about it all the same.

Mangesh

"DM Unseen" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Peter,

haven't tried this as yet, but will try soon.

As for the intellisense part, my basic question is:
from ThisWorkbook how to arrive at a userform in my workbook something like