Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Protecting VBA Macros

I have a Spreadsheet with a couple of VBA macros. I want to protect the
Spreadsheets so that viewers of the Spreadsheet can see nor edit the
underlying VBA code.
How do I accomplish that from code or from the Excel Interface?

-HS
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Go to Tools-Macros-VB Editor. Right click the VBA project name and
select properties. the protection tab allows you to enter a password.
Caution: If you forget the password, you're hosed! there is no way to
unprotect the macro code without the password.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Hecsan,

Mike has shown you how to hide and protect your code.

However:

Caution: If you forget the password, you're hosed! there is no way to
unprotect the macro code without the password.

should be interpreted purely as a warning that forgetting your password may
represent an inconvenience.

It should not be thought that such password protection represents any real
security. Anyone with the correct knowledge, or the ability to Google, will
readily be able to gain access to the code.

It may be worthwhile protecting your code to deter casual viewers and
prevent non-malicious tampering, but this should not give rise to any false
assumptions about the levels of security provide by Excel which are, in
reality, minimal.

---
Regards,
Norman

"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Go to Tools-Macros-VB Editor. Right click the VBA project name and
select properties. the protection tab allows you to enter a password.
Caution: If you forget the password, you're hosed! there is no way to
unprotect the macro code without the password.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yikes!! Thanks for the eye opener, Norman. My security blanket is now
riddled with holes.