Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How can I add a control to an Excel chart?

I have an Excel workbook with a chart to show the trend of some data. The
data is generated on an hourly basis and I have written a macro which reads
new data into the workbook. At the moment I have a button on the toolbar
which calls the macro - but that button is always on the toolbar and I only
want to see it when I am looking at my data (after all - the macro is only
present in the one workbook). How can I embed a control in the chart so that
I only see it in this specific application?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

hi,
on the xl tool bar go viewToolbarscontrol toolbox
here is a bunch of control that you can drag to the sheet.
mouse over all the control till you see command button. click and drag it to
the sheet. right click the button. choose view code. you can put you code
behind the button or you can call the macro you have all ready written.
right click the button. choose properties.
here you can see the button properties such as caption, text color, back
color and others.

regards

FSt1

"Mark" wrote:

I have an Excel workbook with a chart to show the trend of some data. The
data is generated on an hourly basis and I have written a macro which reads
new data into the workbook. At the moment I have a button on the toolbar
which calls the macro - but that button is always on the toolbar and I only
want to see it when I am looking at my data (after all - the macro is only
present in the one workbook). How can I embed a control in the chart so that
I only see it in this specific application?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just note that if your chart is on a chartsheet rather than embedded on a
worksheet, you can not use controls from the control toolbox toolbar. You
would use controls from the forms toolbar.

But it sounded like your question was really about the visibility of the
button on the toolbar/menu. Perhaps you should put your button on the
Chart Menu Bar
rather than the Worksheet Menu Bar or other built in or custom toolbar.

Tom Ogilvy

"Mark" wrote:

I have an Excel workbook with a chart to show the trend of some data.

The
data is generated on an hourly basis and I have written a macro which

reads
new data into the workbook. At the moment I have a button on the toolbar
which calls the macro - but that button is always on the toolbar and I

only
want to see it when I am looking at my data (after all - the macro is

only
present in the one workbook). How can I embed a control in the chart so

that
I only see it in this specific application?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excellent - thankyou.
I wanted to add the control to the chart rather than to a toolbar because I
want to be able to give the workbook to someone else and for them to be able
to access the update function without them having to maodify any of their
toolbars (or add another toolbar).

Mark