Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default This is odd!

When I want XL to open with comment indicators visible (those little
red triangles in the corners of cells with comments) I type
Application.DisplayCommentIndicator = xlNoIndicator into the
Workbook_Open Event Procedure. If I don't want the comment indicators
then the value is xlCommentIndicatorOnly.
To me this is counterintuitive. Why have Microsoft done it this odd
way?
Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Dave
I'm running XL 2000 and 2003 on PCs and XL98 for Macintosh on old iMac.
It's the same on all of them.
Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

are you setting in Application.MoveAfterReturn property after
Application.DisplayCommentIndicator?
test the following:

Sub Test()
Application.DisplayCommentIndicator = xlCommentIndicatorOnly
Application.MoveAfterReturn = True
'This shows False
MsgBox Application.DisplayCommentIndicator = xlCommentIndicatorOnly
'This shows True
MsgBox Application.DisplayCommentIndicator = xlNoIndicator

Application.DisplayCommentIndicator = xlNoIndicator
Application.MoveAfterReturn = True
'This shows False
MsgBox Application.DisplayCommentIndicator = xlNoIndicator
'This shows True
MsgBox Application.DisplayCommentIndicator = xlCommentIndicatorOnly
End Sub

i am testing in excel2000.
maybe this is a bug since excel97.

--
HTH,

okaizawa

wrote:
When I want XL to open with comment indicators visible (those little
red triangles in the corners of cells with comments) I type
Application.DisplayCommentIndicator = xlNoIndicator into the
Workbook_Open Event Procedure. If I don't want the comment indicators
then the value is xlCommentIndicatorOnly.
To me this is counterintuitive. Why have Microsoft done it this odd
way?
Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi okaizawa,
I'm getting very confused now (nearly midnight).
I recorded 3 macros using XL 2000.
when I record toolsoptionviewnone (for comments) the constant is 0
and it plays back as expected.
When I record toolsoptionsviewindicator only the constant is
xLNoIndicator (???) and it plays back the same as the first macro,
which is expected considering the constant value but not expected
considering the recorded steps.
When I record toolsoptionsviewcomment & indicator the constant is
xLCommentIndicatorOnly (???) and again the play back (indicator only)
is expected in terms of the constant value but not expected considering
the recorded steps.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I've got the same results with XL 2003 ie the constants seem OK but the
macro recorder doesn't record the right constant for indicator only
(recorded as no indicator) and indicator&comment (recorded as comment
indicator only).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Ken,

I confirm that (for me) under xl2000,

(1) Using the xl comment indicator constants in code produced expected
results.

(2) Using the macro recorder and then reviwing the recorder code, the
following results were observed in the code:

Tools | Options | Comments | None
==== 0

Tools | Options | Comments |CommentInicator only
==== xlNoIndicator

Tools | Options | Comments |Comment & Inicator
==== xlCommentIndicatorOnly

I have never observed this before, but I doubt that I have used the recorder
to set this particular setting.

---
Regards,
Norman

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got the same results with XL 2003 ie the constants seem OK but the
macro recorder doesn't record the right constant for indicator only
(recorded as no indicator) and indicator&comment (recorded as comment
indicator only).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Norman,
Thanks for the confirmation.
Now it's only a macro recorder problem, but it was definitely a problem
with the constant's definition in XL98 for Mac. I haven't yet been able
to check it out on the more recent Macs, I'll be doing that today at
school.
Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

okaizawa, I now see you were right! The problem occurs when setting in
Application.MoveAfterReturn property after
Application.DisplayCommentIndicator. The problem disappears when I
reverse their order in the code.
Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
today i tested the code about the MoveAfterReturn property in my previous
post in excel 2003. then i saw no problem there.
it was too brief time testing, but this problem might have been fixed
in the late versions.

okaizawa