Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.sqlserver.odbc

Default Data from Excel into SQL

Please excuse the cross posting I was not sure which newsgroup would produce
the required advice.

I have a requirement to update a SQL table with data from an Excel
worksheet.

Can anyone suggest the best way to do this....ADO?????

PWS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.sqlserver.odbc

ADO is a great way - IMHO. There are many others too. If you fancy
taking the ADO route here's a few useful links:

'Exhaustive list of objects, properties, methos etc.
http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/...cts_index.html

'getting started
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tml/sqlado.asp

'a good FAQ for commonly experienced problems - beats waiting for
replies on an NG!
http://www.oblique.ch/ms/ADO_Faq.html

And here's some sample code to get you started. Note, there's many ways
to work with ADO and Access - I use RecordSet to retrieve data and
Command to insert or update. Seems to work ok....

HTH
Gareth

'-----------------------------------
Private Const myDBConnectionString As String =
"Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
Private Const myDBLocation As String = "C:\myDB.mdb"

Private rs As ADODB.Recordset
Private cn As ADODB.Connection

'Once we've opened a connection we leave it open!
'This is closed upon closing the workbook.
Private Function fcnConnectToDB() As Boolean

'Check whether the connection is already open.
If Not cn Is Nothing Then
If cn.State < adStateClosed Then
fcnConnectToDB = True
Exit Function

'Open connection the database
Set cn = New ADODB.Connection
With cn
.Errors.Clear
On Error Resume Next
.CursorLocation = adUseClient
.connectionString = myDBConnectionString
.Open myDBLocation
On Error GoTo 0
If .Errors.Count = 0 Then fcnConnectToDB = True
End With

End Function
'
'Returns False if there was a error
'Else returns array containing of returned records
Public Function ADO_RunQuery(mySQL As String) As Variant

'Check we're connected to the database
fcnConnectToDB

'Open the recordset.
Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset
With rs
.ActiveConnection = cn
.CursorLocation = adUseClient
.CursorType = adOpenStatic
.LockType = adLockPessimistic 'adLockBatchOptimistic
.Open mySQL 'cmd
End With

'Dump the record set into an array
If rs.RecordCount = 0 Then
ADO_RunQuery = False
Else
ADO_RunQuery = rs.GetRows
End If
rs.Close

'tidy up
Set rs = Nothing
'(We leave the connection permanently open - you may like to
' close it afterwards)

End Function
Public Function ADO_UpdateDB(mySQL As String) As Boolean

'Check we're connected to the database
fcnConnectToDB

'Set the command text and execute
Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
With cmd
.ActiveConnection = cn
.CommandText = mySQL
.CommandType = adCmdText
On Error Resume Next
.Execute
If Err.Number = 0 Then ADO_UpdateDB = True
On Error GoTo 0
End With

'tidy up
Set cmd = Nothing

Paul Smith wrote:
Please excuse the cross posting I was not sure which newsgroup would produce
the required advice.

I have a requirement to update a SQL table with data from an Excel
worksheet.

Can anyone suggest the best way to do this....ADO?????

PWS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.sqlserver.odbc

This might be a help for getting data to and from Excel and Access: It
includes examples of using variables in SQL queries.
http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/sql.html

Or you can get there from the "Excel with Access Databases" section on page:
http://www.bygsoftware.com/examples/examples.htm

It demonstrates how to use SQL in Excel's VBA to:

* create a database,
* create a table
* insert records
* select records,
* update records,
* delete records,
* delete a table,
* delete a database.

DAO and ADO files available.

You can also download the demonstration file called "excelsql.zip".

The code is open and commented.

--
Andy Wiggins FCCA
www.BygSoftware.com