Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Floating Window

Does anyone know of any way of producing a floating window which contains a
view of range from a worksheet?

My requirement can be partly satisfied by using a new window, but How can
this be made to always be on top?

Any help or references gratefully received.

Paul Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you're using Excel 2002, or later version, you can use the Watch
window to view specific cells:

Choose ToolsFormula AuditingShow Watch Window
Select a cell
Click the Add Watch button
Click the Add button

To go to a watched cell, double-click its name in the watch list.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Paul,

Excel has a nifty little camera tool that often goes unnoticed due to the
fact it doesn't appear on any of Excel's default toolbars. To use it, you'll
have to first add it to a toolbar, by right clicking on a toolbar and
selecting Customize...
On the Commands tab, select the Tools category, then in the list on the
right, scroll down until you find the Camera tool, then drag it onto a
toolbar of your choice.

Regards,
Vic Eldridge

Right click on any toolbar then select

"Paul Smith" wrote:

Does anyone know of any way of producing a floating window which contains a
view of range from a worksheet?

My requirement can be partly satisfied by using a new window, but How can
this be made to always be on top?

Any help or references gratefully received.

Paul Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Paul,
You can use a no modal userform with a image control.
In UserForm module:

Option Explicit
Private Declare Function _
CloseClipboard& Lib "user32" ()
Private Declare Function _
OpenClipboard& Lib "user32" (ByVal hwnd&)
Private Declare Function _
EmptyClipboard& Lib "user32" ()
Private Declare Function _
GetClipboardData& Lib "user32" (ByVal wFormat&)
Private Declare Function CopyEnhMetaFileA& _
Lib "gdi32" (ByVal hemfSrc&, ByVal lpszFile$)
Private Declare Function _
DeleteEnhMetaFile& Lib "gdi32.dll" (ByVal hemf&)

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
On Error Resume Next
Const fName$ = "c:\Range.wmf"
Const Rng$ = "A1:C6"
Me.Image1.Top = 0: Me.Image1.Left = 0
With ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1)
Me.Caption = .Name & " - " & Rng
..Range(Rng).CopyPicture
End With
OpenClipboard 0
DeleteEnhMetaFile CopyEnhMetaFileA(GetClipboardData(14), fName)
EmptyClipboard: CloseClipboard
Me.Image1.Picture = LoadPicture(fName)
Me.Image1.AutoSize = True
Dim W!: W = Me.Image1.Width
Dim H!: H = Me.Image1.Height
While Me.InsideWidth W
Me.Width = Me.Width - 1
Wend
While Me.InsideWidth < W
Me.Width = Me.Width + 1
Wend
While Me.InsideHeight H
Me.Height = Me.Height - 1
Wend
While Me.InsideHeight < H
Me.Height = Me.Height + 1
Wend
Kill fName
End Sub

In standard module:

Sub ViewRange()
UserForm1.Show 0

MP

"Paul Smith" a écrit dans le message de news:
Does anyone know of any way of producing a floating window which contains

view of range from a worksheet?

My requirement can be partly satisfied by using a new window, but How can
this be made to always be on top?

Any help or references gratefully received.

Paul Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I haven't used the Camera tool in many a year but isn't it the same thing as
the Copy Picture choice you see when you hold Shift down and click the Edit
menu open? If so it might be easier.

--
Jim
"Vic Eldridge" wrote in message
| Hi Paul,
|
| Excel has a nifty little camera tool that often goes unnoticed due to the
| fact it doesn't appear on any of Excel's default toolbars. To use it,
you'll
| have to first add it to a toolbar, by right clicking on a toolbar and
| selecting Customize...
| On the Commands tab, select the Tools category, then in the list on the
| right, scroll down until you find the Camera tool, then drag it onto a
| toolbar of your choice.
|

| Regards,
| Vic Eldridge
|

| Right click on any toolbar then select
|
| "Paul Smith" wrote:
|
| Does anyone know of any way of producing a floating window which
contains a
| view of range from a worksheet?
|
| My requirement can be partly satisfied by using a new window, but How
can
| this be made to always be on top?
|
| Any help or references gratefully received.
|
| Paul Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim,

Copy Picture produces a static image of the copied range, whereas the camera
tool produces a dynamic image of the copied range. It's like a cross between
an image and a formula. Quite powerful really.
I suspect if MS gave it a home on a prominent toolbar it would be a *lot*
more widely used.

Regards,
Vic Eldridge

"Jim Rech" wrote:

I haven't used the Camera tool in many a year but isn't it the same thing as
the Copy Picture choice you see when you hold Shift down and click the Edit
menu open? If so it might be easier.

--
Jim
"Vic Eldridge" wrote in message
| Hi Paul,
|
| Excel has a nifty little camera tool that often goes unnoticed due to the
| fact it doesn't appear on any of Excel's default toolbars. To use it,
you'll
| have to first add it to a toolbar, by right clicking on a toolbar and
| selecting Customize...
| On the Commands tab, select the Tools category, then in the list on the
| right, scroll down until you find the Camera tool, then drag it onto a
| toolbar of your choice.
|

| Regards,
| Vic Eldridge
|

| Right click on any toolbar then select
|
| "Paul Smith" wrote:
|
| Does anyone know of any way of producing a floating window which
contains a
| view of range from a worksheet?
|
| My requirement can be partly satisfied by using a new window, but How
can
| this be made to always be on top?
|
| Any help or references gratefully received.
|
| Paul Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can copy a range of cells, then hold the Shift key, and choose
EditPaste Picture Link.

Maybe that's what Jim remembered.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ahhh, so it does have it's own home. Shame about the suburb though. ;-)