Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Installing an Add-in from outside Excel

Thanks Robin,
In a similary way to your technique I use Tarma Installer to create
installation packages and that uses a Shell call to run any program or
document you specify at the end of the installation. I use that to run
an "Activate.xls" workbook with code in the AutoOpen subroutine to
install and activate the addin in Excel. I was hoping to streamline
this a bit by accessing the registry directly (something that the Tarma
Installer allows you to do). Okaizawa's post provides the clue to
dointg this however it is not as straight forward as I had hoped as you
have to count thenumber of OPEN keys in the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mic*rosoft\Office\10.0\ Excel\Option*s
folder and add the next one in the sequence. Tarma allows you to link
a dll to the installation routines it produces so I'd probably be able
to do it that way. (I Downloaded XspandXL by the way - it looks
interesting).
Seisman.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

seisman,

It's not just the issue of enumerating the registry keys, you also have to
watch out for version differences if you try and do it direct. The technique
I use (I think I probably found the base idea in one of Stephen Bullen's
books then elaborated it a bit), works across NT, 2000, XP and Excel
97-2003.

Robin Hammond
www.enhanceddatasystems.com

oups.com...