Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Find Folder Path + file Name Length and Insert into Spreadsheet

Our company has found a fatal flaw in a program that is caused by too long
of a path. The company wants us to go through our folders and shorten the
paths to less than 200 characters including the file name. Any suggestions
on how I can have excel scan all folders + subfolders + files for ones that
exceed 200 characters and insert the offendign paths into a spreadsheet.
This would save us from counting our 2500 root folders + subfolders.

Thanks

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Open up the MS-DOS command prompt and type this code

C: 'or whatever your drive letter is for the folders
cd\ 'this gets you to the root
dir/s/b files.txt 'this will put your whole file list in a the fil
(will take a while)

Next open the file (Drive:\files.txt) in Excel and use =len(A1) i
column B and sort it by that column, blah blah. I think you can get i
from here

--
TommySzalapsk
TommySzalapski's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2556