Posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.java.visualj++.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Default Looking for a Good HEX editor

I didn't know what group to post this in... I'm looking for a good hex
editor. One that would permit me to view two files at the same time and as I
move the position in one it would also move it in the other. I'm trying to
compare the position location of two files.

Posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.java.visualj++.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

I don't know about that, but have you tried the old FC command (filecompare)
from the command window (DOS).

In the command window do

fc /? <cr

for information on options.

Tom Ogilvy

"M.Siler" wrote in message
I didn't know what group to post this in... I'm looking for a good hex
editor. One that would permit me to view two files at the same time and as

move the position in one it would also move it in the other. I'm trying to
compare the position location of two files.

Posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.java.visualj++.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

There is one he

http://www.softcircuits.com/

I have notused it, so I can't say that it will do what you wnat,
but you can check it out.

Saga

"M.Siler" wrote in message
I didn't know what group to post this in... I'm looking for a good hex
editor. One that would permit me to view two files at the same time and
as I move the position in one it would also move it in the other. I'm
trying to compare the position location of two files.

Posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.java.visualj++.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

"M.Siler" wrote in message
I didn't know what group to post this in... I'm looking for a good hex
editor. One that would permit me to view two files at the same time and as

move the position in one it would also move it in the other. I'm trying to
compare the position location of two files.

I like AraxisMerge. Very easy to use and very functional and not very
expensive. There is a sample version available as well.

Rick Sawtell
MCT, MCSD, MCDBA

Posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.java.visualj++.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

I know the files aren't the same, but I want to make sure at byte xyz they
both have the same data type.

Right now I have both files open and I have to jump between them to check
that at byte 872 both have the phone number starting in that position.

"M.Siler" wrote in message
I didn't know what group to post this in... I'm looking for a good hex
editor. One that would permit me to view two files at the same time and
as

move the position in one it would also move it in the other. I'm trying
compare the position location of two files.

Posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.java.visualj++.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

FC doesn't do that, but if your using vb or Excel VBA, you can use low level
file io to open each and compare at byte level.

Working with Binary Access Files

It would be a lot easier to automate the check than to use hex editors.

Tom Ogilvy

"M.Siler" wrote in message
I didn't know what group to post this in... I'm looking for a good hex
editor. One that would permit me to view two files at the same time and
as

move the position in one it would also move it in the other. I'm trying
compare the position location of two files.

Posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.java.visualj++.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Tom Ogilvy wrote...
FC doesn't do that, but if your using vb or Excel VBA, you can use low level
file io to open each and compare at byte level.

Working with Binary Access Files

It would be a lot easier to automate the check than to use hex editors.

Maybe, but VB[A] isn't as easy to use for low-level file I/O as some
scripting languages. Unless the files are HUGE, it'd be easier to do
this in, say, Perl by loading both files in their entirety into
separate variables, then indexing these 'string' variables by byte or
word position. Easier and faster than using VB[A] binary file I/O with
byte record length.

Then again, there's always the venrable DEBUG.COM program, still
included in Windows XP. One could use separate instances in separate
console windows to display binary dumps between specific byte offsets
within the files. E.g.,

C:\test debug somefile.bin
-d 326 327
13F8:0320 4B 87 K.
-q

C:\test

And since DEBUG.COM accomodates I/O redirection, this could be
scripted.

Posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.java.visualj++.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

I use UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com) as my favorite text editor.

It has lots of options including comparing files and displaying in hex.

I'm not sure if has syncronized scrolling though.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.java.visualj++.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

The folks who made UltraEdit also make a product called UltraCompare.
It looks pretty cool but I have not tried it.

Posted to microsoft.public.dotnet.general,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.java.visualj++.general,microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Steve Kass wrote...
Your could install Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) and use utilities
like od and diff.

Picky: cmp -l and grep would be the more direct approach.