Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Find a match and display a message

I am just delving into Excel other than the basics and I am trying to find a
way to search a row and if the variable is found I want to return to another
cell a message like "Value Found" or something like that. Not sure which
Function to use.. Any ideas?

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

=if(a1="mmm....doughnuts","found","not found")
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Woody" wrote in message
I am just delving into Excel other than the basics and I am trying to find

way to search a row and if the variable is found I want to return to

another
cell a message like "Value Found" or something like that. Not sure which
Function to use.. Any ideas?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok that works thanks.. Is it possiable to have multiple IF's on the same line?
Where if the value I put in is A or B or C or D it returns the value?

example:
=if(a1="A;B;C;D","found","not found")

"Woody" wrote in message
I am just delving into Excel other than the basics and I am trying to find

way to search a row and if the variable is found I want to return to

another
cell a message like "Value Found" or something like that. Not sure which
Function to use.. Any ideas?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If what I am looking for is in found in Row 1 then return a message
"Something" if it is in Row 2 return some other message.

Sheet 1
A1 Enter Letter: A2 (function to search sheet 2 and return a message to B2)
B1 Rate: B2 "message"

Sheet 2
A1 B1 C1 D1
Row 1 A B C D
Row 2 E F G H

"Woody" wrote in message
I am just delving into Excel other than the basics and I am trying
find
way to search a row and if the variable is found I want to return to
another
cell a message like "Value Found" or something like that. Not sure
which
Function to use.. Any ideas?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you have 80 things to look through, I'd insert a new worksheet and put those
80 terms in A1:A80.

Then I could use:

=if(isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0)),"Found","not found")

"Woody" wrote in message
I am just delving into Excel other than the basics and I am trying to
find
way to search a row and if the variable is found I want to return to
another
cell a message like "Value Found" or something like that. Not sure
which
Function to use.. Any ideas?

Thank you

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This seems to only work if my data I am looking for is in A1 on sheet 2. Does
not seem to search A1 to A80. I tried also changing the values in the
formaula to say A1:A$ and that did not work either. I am so close.... Thank
you all for the help.

=if(isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a1:a$,0)),"Found","no t found")

"Woody" wrote in message
I am just delving into Excel other than the basics and I am trying to
find
way to search a row and if the variable is found I want to return to
another
cell a message like "Value Found" or something like that. Not sure
which
Function to use.. Any ideas?

Thank you

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Okay I got it all working with the following looking at 4 rows and returning
the results to 4 different cells. I was trying to make it as one function now
so I can have the result returned to 1 cell. I would use the OR somehow but
can not seem to get the syntax right.

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B2,Suggest!B1:Q1,0)),"Add","")
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B2,Suggest!B2:I2,0)),"Add","")
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B2,Suggest!B3:Q3,0)),"Delete or Remove","")
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B2,Suggest!B4:AO4,0)),"Delete or Remove","")

Thanks for all the great help..

"Woody" wrote in message
I am just delving into Excel other than the basics and I am trying to
find
way to search a row and if the variable is found I want to return to
another
cell a message like "Value Found" or something like that. Not sure
which
Function to use.. Any ideas?

Thank you

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When you look at the results of these 4 formulas, do you see at most one non ""
cell?

If yes, you could use a 5th formula:

=x1&x2&x3&x4

(x1, x2, ... are the cells with those formulas)

or even:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B2,Suggest!B1:Q1,0)),"Add","")
&IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B2,Suggest!B2:I2,0)),"Add"," ")
&IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B2,Suggest!B3:Q3,0)),"Delete or Remove","")
&IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(B2,Suggest!B4:AO4,0)),"Delet e or Remove","")

All one cell.

(concatenating "" with other text won't hurt.)