Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Remove links to other spreadsheets

This is a cross post. I posted a similar message in the XL forum and
tried a couple of solutions offered there, which didn't work.
I've got a spreadsheet linked to other spreadsheets. I want to create a
copy that is not linked, to avoid the dialog boxes asking about updates
and where the files are. I already turned off "Tools, Options,
Automatically ask for updates" feature, but it still asks where the
other files are.
I followed the detailed instructions from a reccommended web page which
had me save the file under a new name and change all the links from
their original source to the file I just "save as'd", but one of the
links won't allow me to change it.
I read that an Auto_Open macro won't work because this dialog box
precedes it on opening the file.
I'm stumped! Anyone have any other ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Should have mentioned, I thought about doing a "Paste Special, Values",
but the sheets are laboriously formatted and color coded and full of
comments.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is a link to an addin called FindLink. It works great for finding and
removing external links...

http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"davegb" wrote:

This is a cross post. I posted a similar message in the XL forum and
tried a couple of solutions offered there, which didn't work.
I've got a spreadsheet linked to other spreadsheets. I want to create a
copy that is not linked, to avoid the dialog boxes asking about updates
and where the files are. I already turned off "Tools, Options,
Automatically ask for updates" feature, but it still asks where the
other files are.
I followed the detailed instructions from a reccommended web page which
had me save the file under a new name and change all the links from
their original source to the file I just "save as'd", but one of the
links won't allow me to change it.
I read that an Auto_Open macro won't work because this dialog box
precedes it on opening the file.
I'm stumped! Anyone have any other ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your reply, Jim!

"davegb" wrote:

This is a cross post. I posted a similar message in the XL forum and
tried a couple of solutions offered there, which didn't work.
I've got a spreadsheet linked to other spreadsheets. I want to create a
copy that is not linked, to avoid the dialog boxes asking about updates
and where the files are. I already turned off "Tools, Options,
Automatically ask for updates" feature, but it still asks where the
other files are.
I followed the detailed instructions from a reccommended web page which
had me save the file under a new name and change all the links from
their original source to the file I just "save as'd", but one of the
links won't allow me to change it.
I read that an Auto_Open macro won't work because this dialog box
precedes it on opening the file.
I'm stumped! Anyone have any other ideas?

The link you sent doesn't work!
But I figured out how to fix it. I saved the workbook under a new name,
then copied each sheet, and did a paste-special, value back into the
same sheet. Kept all the formatting, and removes all the formulas!
I would like to have that macro you mentioned, if you can get it for
me.