Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problems with pivot tables and/or charts

My project is working OK in XL2000 but in XP or 2003 I am seeing strange
behavior.

I have 5 pivot tables in a workbook and am programmatically creating charts
and manipulating the pivot tables and copying/pasting them into sheets as
reports.

When I perform the report generation in XL2000, it works OK. In XP or 2003,
I am seeing random errors and behaviors such as repainting problems or
strange automation errors. Some of the problems a

- Error: "The object invoked has disconnected from its client". Random
places in the code.
- The pivot table worksheets won't repaint. The bottom 1/4 of the screen
is unclickable.
- In XP the (x) for close sheet is missing and I can't type any data in
any of the cells. Like the sheet is "locked".

Sometimes the reports work OK, other times it debugs on certain lines.

I rebuilt the tool entirely in a new workbook, and the same problems
persist.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what this is caused by and how to fix?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

After some more investigation I believe I have found the issue.

I am importing some Excel data dumps that have been generated by another
system. Those were saved with sheet names containing illegal characters,
something like "ReportName.aspx?T". Excel 2000 can open them no problem
using Workbooks.Open but XP requires the CorruptLoad parameter in order to
repair it. However, apparently Excel XP doesn't like that anyway. Even after
Excel repaired it after Workbooks.Open, the problems still remained.

If I manually rename the sheet and then run the process, all of the problems
go away. Those illegal characters hosed Excel up tremendously, but didn't
affect 2000. Only XP.

One of other strange errors was the hanging hourglass after the code ran.
The hourglass remained until after I clicked on a cell and would reappear.
There were other things but they are all gone now and Excel is operating
normally. Amazing that the bad sheet name would have such an effect.

Anybody know how to open sheets w/illegal (repaired) characters without
hosing Excel XP up?