Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Selecting data from 1 workbook to copy and paste to a 2nd workbook

I'm not sure if this will require VB or not as I've only done very basic
macro recording before.
I have 2 workbooks where the first 3 columns of each row (after a title row)
consist of an ID number, a North coordinate and an East Coordinate. Workbook
A is complete in that every ID for our system is included along with the
coresponding North and East coords.
Workbook B includes a subset of the IDs and only some of the IDs have their
coords in columns B and C. How do I import the coords into Workbook B
without having to copy/paste a thousand or more times. Thanks in advance for
any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi JackSpam,

You can do this manually and very rapidly.

Select all the coordinate blanks in WB B:

Select the one coord column | F5 | Alt-S | k | ok

With the cells selected enter an apporiate VLookup formula | Ctrl-Enter

Repeat for the 2nd coordinates column.

If necessary, see Excel help on VLookup function.

You can hardcode the results with Copy PasteSpecial Values.

Rather than selecting the blank missing values, you may wish to select all
co-ord values - slightly quicker and you verify current data.

The job will be finished before you know it.

---
Regards,
Norman

"JackSpam" wrote in message
I'm not sure if this will require VB or not as I've only done very basic
macro recording before.
I have 2 workbooks where the first 3 columns of each row (after a title
row)
consist of an ID number, a North coordinate and an East Coordinate.
Workbook
A is complete in that every ID for our system is included along with the
coresponding North and East coords.
Workbook B includes a subset of the IDs and only some of the IDs have
their
coords in columns B and C. How do I import the coords into Workbook B
without having to copy/paste a thousand or more times. Thanks in advance
for
any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Selecting data from 1 workbook to copy and paste to a 2nd work

Thank you, thank you. In hind sight it was so simple. I ended up expanding
the vlookup function to integrate 3 columns and still had time for a morning
bike ride before temps hit 100. My boss thanks you too.