Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Need a macro to copy a range in one workbook and paste into another workbook

Hi all,
I'm experienced in excel, but not very good with Macros.
I am trying to write a macro to copy from 1 workbook into another.
Using Window 2K SP4, and MS Office 2k SR1
So far I have only this using the Macro Recorder:
Sub ITHDdocID()
'
' ITHDdocID Macro
' Macro recorded 25/06/2004 by husky101
'

'
Windows("ITHD Reports.xls").Activate
Range("A6").Select
Selection.Copy
Windows("ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.Paste
Range("B3").Select
End Sub

When I run this macro I receive a 'Subscript out of range error', on
line 5 the destination wkbk.
I need to copy an unkown range down from ITHD!A6 from wkbk (ITHD
Reports.xls)
and paste into wkbk2 (ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls) into
sheet Time!A3

Cheers Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi.
I fixed your macro. Is it a macro what you would like to write?

Sub ITHDdocID()

Dim rng As Range

Windows("ITHD Reports.xls").Activate

Worksheets("ITHD").Range("A6").Select

'selected from ITHD!A6 to the end
Set rng = Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown))
rng.Select
rng.Copy

Windows("ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls").Activate

'pasted to Time!A3
Worksheets("Time").Range("A3").PasteSpecial xlPasteValues

Samura

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try:

Sub ITHDdocID()
Dim rng1 as Range
Dim rng2 as Range

rng1 = Workbooks("ITHD
Reports").Sheets("Sheet1").Range(Range("A6"),Range ("A6").End(xlDown))
rng2 = Workbooks("ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports
V5").Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B3").Resize(rng1.Rows .Count,1)
rng2.Formula=rng1.Formula

End Sub

You may need to substitute the appropriate sheet names for "Sheet1" above -
I can't tell what you've called them from your code fragment. Otherwise we
can use Copy & Paste, but it's less efficient and bulletproof:

Sub ITHDdocID()
Dim NumOfRows as Integer

Windows("ITHD Reports.xls").Activate
With Range(Range("A6"), Range("A6").End(xlDown))
NumOfRows=.Rows.Count
.Copy
End With
Windows("ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls").Activate
ActiveSheet.Range("B3").Resize(NumOfRows,1).Paste

End Sub

We store the number of rows in the region under A6 in the variable
NumOfRows, then use it to measure out the range into which we're pasting.

- Ken

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ken,
Thanks for your code.
It worked great.

One more thing if you wouldn't mind.

Once I have my column in place,
I need column B to run a vlookup. I can do the worksheet function no
problems
But I need it to run down the column as far as column A and no more
as I run a Countif on col B, and 0 will give me an incorrect result.
AS Column A can vary in length each report, i will either have to many
rows or not enough. Too many will come up with 0 or errors.

Any further assistance will be greatly appreciated, if you have the
time.

Cheers Paul

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi.
It may be late, I fixed that macro.
This macro does not receive the error.
The macro opens the book "ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls",
and pastes from "ITHD Reports.xls" to the book, and saves the book,
and closes the book.

Sub ITHDdocID()

Dim rng As Range
Dim pastedBook As Workbook

Windows("ITHD Reports.xls").Activate

Worksheets("ITHD").Range("A6").Select

'selected from ITHD!A6 to the end
Set rng = Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown))
rng.Select
rng.Copy

'opened the book "ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls"
Set pastedBook = Workbooks.Open("ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports
V5.xls")

'pasted to Time!A3
pastedBook.Worksheets("Time").Range("A3").PasteSpe cial xlPasteValues

'saved the book "ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls"
pastedBook.Save

'closed the book "ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls"
pastedBook.Close
Set pastedBook = Nothing

Samura

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for you help Samura,
But I receive an error on running the code.
"Subscript out of range"
on the line :"Windows("ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports

V5.xls").Activate"

But anyway I have found a solution.

So Once again Thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your efforts Samura.
I still see errors for some reason, with your code.
It cannot find "ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls",
I overcome this, then it comes up with Compile error on the SAVE.

Maybe the differences are due to Excel Versions. I'm on XL 2K SR-1

Thanks again for the trouble.

Cheers Paul

"Paul" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for you help Samura,
But I receive an error on running the code.
"Subscript out of range"
on the line :"Windows("ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports

V5.xls").Activate"

But anyway I have found a solution.

So Once again Thank you very much

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi, Paul.

I could run that macro with no error.

Paul Maybe the differences are due to Excel Versions. I'm on XL 2K SR-1

Excel that could run the macro was Excel 2000 (9.0.4402 SR-1)
on the Windows 2000 SP4.
Is your Excel's version same?

Paul It cannot find "ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls",

Perhaps, that macro does not recognize the path.
Then, how about trying to run this fixed macro?

Sub ITHDdocID2()
Dim rng As Range
Dim pastedBook As Workbook
Dim d As String

Windows("ITHD Reports.xls").Activate

Worksheets("ITHD").Range("A6").Select

'selected from ITHD!A6 to the end
Set rng = Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlDown))
rng.Select
rng.Copy

'fixed point 1
'reading the common path at the book "ITHD Reports.xls" and "ITHD Monthly
'Calculator for reports V5.xls"
d = ThisWorkbook.Path

'fixed point 2
'opened the book "ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls"
'with the same path
Set pastedBook = Workbooks.Open(d & "\ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports
V5.xls")

'pasted to Time!A3
pastedBook.Worksheets("Time").Range("A3").PasteSpe cial xlPasteValues

'saved the book "ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls"
pastedBook.Save

'closed the book "ITHD Monthly Calculator for reports V5.xls"
pastedBook.Close
Set pastedBook = Nothing

End Sub

om...