Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Add_Ins

I installed a 3rd party Add_In through Tools/Add_Ins/Browse ... and then
clicked OK. The new Add_In name now appears in the Tools drop down menu.

So far so good.

Then I created my own Add_In (.xla file). I followed the same procedure as
above, but my own Add_In does not appear in the Tools drop down menu even
though its box is checked in the Add_Ins Available dialog box.

What further steps do I need to take to get my new Add_In to appear in the
Tools drop down list?

Thanks for your help ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bill,

An AddIn is just an easy and very neat means of deploying code. It is
ostensibly no different from opening a workbook with VBA code in it -
indeed it is just a special kind of workbook.

The third party AddIn must have had some code in it that adds a button
to the Tools menu. Clicking this button fires off one of the procedures
in the AddIn. (Again, this can be done for all workbooks - not just AddIns.)

To make procedures available on the Excel Toolbar you need to add them
when your AddIn is loaded.

Say you have a procedure in Module1 of your AddIn:

Sub SayHello()
msgbox "Hello"
End Sub

If you want to have a button for this, insert the below code into the
Thisworkbook code module (watch for wrapping)

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Dim myButton As CommandBarControl

Set myButton =
Application.CommandBars(1).Controls("Tools").Contr ols.Add _
(Type:=msoControlButton, Temporary:=True) '
With myButton
.Caption = "&Click Me"
.OnAction = "SayHello"
.Style = msoButtonCaption
.BeginGroup = True
End With

End Sub

You can have as many buttons for as many procedures as you like. If you
want to make your own command bar see below link:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...062410666ba2b7

HTH,
Gareth

bill_morgan wrote:
I installed a 3rd party Add_In through Tools/Add_Ins/Browse ... and then
clicked OK. The new Add_In name now appears in the Tools drop down menu.

So far so good.

Then I created my own Add_In (.xla file). I followed the same procedure as
above, but my own Add_In does not appear in the Tools drop down menu even
though its box is checked in the Add_Ins Available dialog box.

What further steps do I need to take to get my new Add_In to appear in the
Tools drop down list?

Thanks for your help ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gareth, this is great. Thanks. I figured there must be some code inside the
3rd party add-in that caused it to appear in the drop down. Now I need to
make mine do that by employing your suggestion below. Thanks again ...

bill_morgan wrote:
I installed a 3rd party Add_In through Tools/Add_Ins/Browse ... and then
clicked OK. The new Add_In name now appears in the Tools drop down menu.

So far so good.

Then I created my own Add_In (.xla file). I followed the same procedure as
above, but my own Add_In does not appear in the Tools drop down menu even
though its box is checked in the Add_Ins Available dialog box.

What further steps do I need to take to get my new Add_In to appear in the
Tools drop down list?

Thanks for your help ...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dave ...

I wasn't sure which place was the best to post in for this question. I got
your response and Kassie's response in the misc section - both very useful.
Thanks again...

bill_morgan wrote:

I installed a 3rd party Add_In through Tools/Add_Ins/Browse ... and then
clicked OK. The new Add_In name now appears in the Tools drop down menu.

So far so good.

Then I created my own Add_In (.xla file). I followed the same procedure as
above, but my own Add_In does not appear in the Tools drop down menu even
though its box is checked in the Add_Ins Available dialog box.

What further steps do I need to take to get my new Add_In to appear in the
Tools drop down list?

Thanks for your help ...

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Usually one group is enough.

But if you think you have to post to more than one, then you could include all
the newsgroups in one message. This is called cross posting and a reply to one
will be seen in all.

If you multipost (post separate messages), then it sometimes gets frustrating to
spend time responding in one newsgroup only to find you have an answer in a
different group.

And it makes it easier for you, too. You only have to check one location.