Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to plot missing points

Hello everyone,

I have this problem where I need to draw a line for points that don'
exist.

Example:
I need to plot the data below preserving the scale, which means where
don't have point 4 I still need to have something on the chart, eithe
average or interpolated value.

Category --- Value
1 ------------ 1
2 ------------ 4
3 ------------ 9
5 ------------ 25
6 ------------ 36

I know that SCATTER type chart does it automatically, but I have such
complex chart that does not fit into this category and therefore gaps i
the category array are not displayed.
Is there a property of a chart object that I can use, which is simila
to what SCATTER chart has?
And also is there a way to mark those points which are missing? Fo
example scatter chart does not mark missing points and marks onl
existing points, I think there should be a way to do the opposite.

Thank you in advance for all the ideas.

Ivan

--
Intellihom
Intellihome's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=147

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The only way that I can think of is to write code to fill in the missing
points in your data.
You can loop through column A and insert cells where cell2 - cell1 1
Than have the code loop through column B and enter values in the empty cells
of column B that will add Sum(cell1:cell2)/Count(cell1:cell2) to the
previous row vallue.

--
steveB

Remove "AYN" from email to respond
"Intellihome" wrote in message

Hello everyone,

I have this problem where I need to draw a line for points that don't
exist.

Example:
I need to plot the data below preserving the scale, which means where I
don't have point 4 I still need to have something on the chart, either
average or interpolated value.

Category --- Value
1 ------------ 1
2 ------------ 4
3 ------------ 9
5 ------------ 25
6 ------------ 36

I know that SCATTER type chart does it automatically, but I have such a
complex chart that does not fit into this category and therefore gaps in
the category array are not displayed.
Is there a property of a chart object that I can use, which is similar
to what SCATTER chart has?
And also is there a way to mark those points which are missing? For
example scatter chart does not mark missing points and marks only
existing points, I think there should be a way to do the opposite.

Thank you in advance for all the ideas.

Ivan.

--
Intellihome
Intellihome's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1479

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you Steve,

but this is not going to work.
1. I can not change data.
2. tick marks would not be uniformly spaced like they are on th
scatter chart.

I thought that there is a property of a chart object that lets me d
that. Which means I change that property and chart object space
category Axis uniformly.

Thank you again,

Iva

--
Intellihom
Intellihome's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=147

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The only property is Scatter Plot.
But you didn't want that.

sorry...

--
steveB

Remove "AYN" from email to respond
"Intellihome" wrote in message

Thank you Steve,

but this is not going to work.
1. I can not change data.
2. tick marks would not be uniformly spaced like they are on the
scatter chart.

I thought that there is a property of a chart object that lets me do
that. Which means I change that property and chart object spaces
category Axis uniformly.

Thank you again,

Ivan