Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default What version Excel file was created in.

Can anyone tell me how to find out what version of Excel and file was created
in? I have a routine which inserts sheets into workbooks. However it fails
on files that were used extensively in Excel 97. I want to put an error
handler in that checks to see if the file in question was created/used in
Excel 97.

I am assuming that checking the version that it is currently in will not be
efficient as a file created in Excel 97 will likely have been saved as more
current versions. I know Tom Ogilvy has stated in an ealier post that you
can look at the sheet names in the project window of the VBE to get a clue.

For example, Sheet 16 in this file is named "Sheet16111111". Tom had stated
that this was a clue. And if fact it is, you cannot insert sheets in this
workbook via VBA.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try:

Application.Version

--
Damon Longworth

Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference
Sept 16th and 17th
Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas
www.ExcelUserConference.com

"ExcelMonkey" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This gives you the current Excel version, not what the workbook was created
in.

Tom Ogilvy gave a post some while back which returns the fileformat. Okay if
it hasn't been updated, but other than that I think you are on a lost
cause - http://tinyurl.com/b6okv

--

HTH

RP

[...]