Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Named Ranges

Hello, I am naming ranges using the ThisWorkbook.Names.Add method and while
I can later view them in a list of Names when I use the command sequence
Insert Name Define, I cannot see them when I hit F5 or Control-G to 'Goto'
them. Can someone please explain what extra steps I might need to take to be
able to see them in the Goto box?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Resolved, sorry:

I had named the ranges without the equal sign in front of the naming string,
and this caused the workbook to accept them as some other kind of Name --
for whate purpose I do not know, but I assume that is a feature -- and not
as a range.

Sorry for anyone's trouble...

"William Benson" wrote in message
Hello, I am naming ranges using the ThisWorkbook.Names.Add method and
while I can later view them in a list of Names when I use the command
sequence Insert Name Define, I cannot see them when I hit F5 or Control-G
to 'Goto' them. Can someone please explain what extra steps I might need
to take to be able to see them in the Goto box?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

William,

What is happening here is that by omitting the = sign, you are creating a
name, but it is not referring to a range, but rather a variable. This can
be very useful as a feature for storing variables within a workbook, such as
VAT wherby you can store a VAT.

A more detailed explanation can be found at
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Names.html

--

HTH

RP

"William Benson" wrote in message
Resolved, sorry:

I had named the ranges without the equal sign in front of the naming

string,
and this caused the workbook to accept them as some other kind of Name --
for whate purpose I do not know, but I assume that is a feature -- and not
as a range.

Sorry for anyone's trouble...

"William Benson" wrote in message
Hello, I am naming ranges using the ThisWorkbook.Names.Add method and
while I can later view them in a list of Names when I use the command
sequence Insert Name Define, I cannot see them when I hit F5 or

Control-G
to 'Goto' them. Can someone please explain what extra steps I might need
to take to be able to see them in the Goto box?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just re-read my reply, classic phrase

a variable such as VAT whereby you can store a VAT.

Obvious or what <vbg

--

HTH

RP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Heh heh...

I learned so much from your post and your article Bob, it really was timely.
It made all the difference in the world to the project I just completed.

Using VBA to build Name formulas was a piece of cake (once I learned the
hard way that the RefersTo property is quite literal and does not share the
same conversion that VBA runs the .FormulaR1C1 through.

Thanks again!!

[...]

Like 123, allow named ranges, and print named ranges WP Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 April 8th 05 06:07 PM
Named Ranges James Excel Programming 4 March 16th 05 06:13 AM
named ranges - changing ranges with month selected gr8guy Excel Programming 2 May 28th 04 04:50 AM
Named ranges Bob Phillips[_6_] Excel Programming 0 April 20th 04 04:08 PM
Named Ranges Neal[_5_] Excel Programming 3 October 23rd 03 02:09 PM