Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default text is deleted when cell is edited

Hi,

Version: MS EXcel 2002 SP2

I have a worksheet, protected, (developed by someone else) which performs
strangely when you edit cells. When you attempt to edit data previously
entered in a cell (by pressing F2 or double clicking on the cell), the
previous data entered in the cell is deleted. This happens with numbers and
text.

Any ideas why this happens?

The worksheet and workbook are protected. The cells in question is obviously
not locked.

--
Your assistance is appreciated.
Griffo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is there any event code behind the sheet working on it. Check by
right-clicking the sheet tab, select View Code from the menu and a code
window will pop up . Anything there?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"GRIFFO" wrote in message

Version: MS EXcel 2002 SP2

I have a worksheet, protected, (developed by someone else) which performs
strangely when you edit cells. When you attempt to edit data previously
entered in a cell (by pressing F2 or double clicking on the cell), the
previous data entered in the cell is deleted. This happens with numbers

and
text.

Any ideas why this happens?

The worksheet and workbook are protected. The cells in question is

obviously
not locked.

--
Your assistance is appreciated.
Griffo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob / Nick,
No code behind the sheet.
Might it have something to do with the sheet properties? I have had a play
with them but no sure what I am doing.

Nick, if there is The cell has .Hidden=True and Locked=False, where can I
change this as there appears to be no VBA code in the sheet.

--

"GRIFFO" wrote in message

Version: MS EXcel 2002 SP2

I have a worksheet, protected, (developed by someone else) which performs
strangely when you edit cells. When you attempt to edit data previously
entered in a cell (by pressing F2 or double clicking on the cell), the
previous data entered in the cell is deleted. This happens with numbers

and
text.

Any ideas why this happens?

The worksheet and workbook are protected. The cells in question is

obviously
not locked.

--
Your assistance is appreciated.
Griffo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have realised it has something to do with the protection of the worksheet.
The entry is not deleted and the cursor placed at the end of the entry when
the worksheet is not protected.

The only option I have allowed users to do is "Select unlocked cells".
Should I set permissions to perform some other action such as Format Cells,
Edit Objects or Edit Scenarios? I am not sure what these do but will trawl
the help system for solutions.

Any guidance is welcomed.

--

"GRIFFO" wrote in message

Version: MS EXcel 2002 SP2

I have a worksheet, protected, (developed by someone else) which performs
strangely when you edit cells. When you attempt to edit data previously
entered in a cell (by pressing F2 or double clicking on the cell), the
previous data entered in the cell is deleted. This happens with numbers

and
text.

Any ideas why this happens?

The worksheet and workbook are protected. The cells in question is

obviously
not locked.

--
Your assistance is appreciated.
Griffo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Guys. It was the hidden option in the Format Cell Protection tab.

Removing the hidden option protection from the fields without formulas, then
makes the text / numerical entry editable without losing the data.

As monty burns says "Exxxxxcellllent".