Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Help me migrate

I currently have an application written in VB 6 that reads an Excel file
(either 2000 or 2003) and extracts information from it to create several
files at the location on the file system the user selects. One of these
files is a comma-separated value file that another program reads to update
some tables in an Oracle database. I'd like to do that DB update directly
from my program. I'd like to use the VB .NET ADO functions to do this. I
will eventually also want to change this program so I can run it from the
intranet, so that the user won't have to load it on their PC before running
it, making sure they have the proper version, etc.

From what I've been able to figure out from the instructions on the site for
Visual Basic, I shouldn't try to rewrite my code that talks to the Excel COM
interface, because the VB .NET version is customized for Excel 2003, and
might not work for Excel 2000; also, my end-users may not have the .NET
framework available. Is this correct?

If correct, I understand that I will need to have my new VB .NET application
talk to my original VBA code through a wrapper or a Published interop object
[sic] or whatever. Can you point me to some tutorials for doing this?

I'm also not sure what to do first about building the new application. I
see a lot about choosing nameSpaces and classes. Will I have to select a
correct nameSpace or class in order to call the functions in the
OracleCommand object?

I'm trying to navigate the maze of information to prepare for this project,
and I'm feeling a bit swamped. Please help!
--
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice,
there is.