Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Programming Question

I am very familiar with Excel's basic functions but have a question that
is a bit more complex. Maybe it is better to explain exactly what I want
to do so maybe somebody will be kind enough to give me advice on how to
do it:

I want to have a spreadsheet recall an average of data from another
spreadsheet within the Excel document. For example, if I have 30
co-workers names on the main spreadsheet, and each individual co-worker
has an individual set of data that is constantly updated in individual
spreadsheets, is there a way to bring up an average of the co-worker's
individual data into the main spreadsheet? So maybe I want an average
of hours worked per week and on the main spreadsheet, all I have is the
co-worker's name and the asverage number of hours worked per week. So
for each individual co-worker's hours, is there a way to call-up the
average of their individual averages from their individual
spreadsheets?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

--
leafsfan1967
leafsfan1967's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24357

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

maybe I am missing something here but

=average(sheet1!a1:a100) will bring back the average of cells a1:a10
on sheet1

--
duan

duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1162
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37956

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use Edit--PasteSpecial----PasteLink.
You don't necessarily have to invoke the Pastespecial dialog box
Suppose the average hours for Jones on his individual spreadshee
(named "Jones") is 806, all you need to do to call up this figure ont
the main summary sheet is to type
=Jones!$J$100 assuming the average is lodged in Cell J100 on Jones'
sheet.

HT

--
david
davidm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2064

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks guys, that worked (1st reply). I've got one more question. Wha
if I want to only count the last 10 cells of data in a particula
column. Now I know A1:A11 would work but what if each day, tha
increases, so there is now data from A1:A12. But if I only want th
last 10, is there a way to tell Excel to only count the 10 from th
last cell and then 10 down? So if, after I have 10 cells of data fro
A1:A10, I add 3 to the bottom. Now I want to count just A4:A13. Ca
Excel automatically change the cell reference after new data i
entered

--
leafsfan196
leafsfan1967's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2435

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

One more question guys:

I am trying to copy data from a website but numbers (eg: 1-4) turn up
as dates. I have tried formatting the cells to text only, but then only
the first 2 cells turn up as the real numbers and all the other are
automatically formatted to custom, despite the fact that I select all
the cells and change it to text to begin with.
Any way to get around this "date changing" by Excel?

--
leafsfan1967
leafsfan1967's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24357
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=379565

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

to answer your 1st question, you can average a variable amount of data
by somethinglike the following:

=AVERAGE(OFFSET(C1,COUNTA(C1:C100)-1,0,1,1):OFFSET(C1,COUNTA(C1:C100)-10,0,1,1))

this would average the last 10 values in the range of c1:c100 - the
"10" toward the end of the equation being the key.

you could also do this using the indirect function

=AVERAGE(INDIRECT("c"&COUNTA($C$1:$C$100)+2):INDIR ECT("c"&COUNTA($C$1:$C$100)-7))

not sure exactly what you mean by question 2.

--
duane

duane's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11624
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=379565

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What I mean for #2 is that I try copy/paste a table on a website bu
some of the numerical data is copied into Excel as a different forma
than TEXT. For example, the phrase "3-1" turns into a data lik
June-13-05.

I have tried formatting all the cells to text because that is the onl
way to keep the data in its original form

--
leafsfan196
leafsfan1967's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2435
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=37956